Games and stories.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: OZ Unlimited: A Fistful of Baylors

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

No Country for Old Baylor

ZIGON FIVE
(SOTS)

John Leningrad Baylor took some time out to chillax, man. He had a break and had a Krit Kraut because right then and there, he had thoroughly and utterly decided that he was just goddamn too old for this shit.

So he put on some clothing, which he usually did when he went outside, and went outside for a change. 'Course, most of the time he preferred to swim through the CommNet because he was a weary soul who didn't really like going out much and now in the future you can very well do the same - and more - by hooking up your brain to a supercomputer and transmitting your whole human experience to practically anywhere, outside your house, outside your planet, outside your solar system. But sometimes that didn't cut it, sometimes you had to put on your Hawaiian shirt and your pantaloons and take a walk outside, and he did.

Selphie had asked him where he was going, and he said he was just taking a walk and he asked her if she wanted to come with him, but she declined and said that she had another appointment - she was going to get her hair done in the parlour, with more glow-in-the-dark nanites, and then she was going shopping. That was okay, Baylor thought, since he wasn't going to take that long anyway.

But he was wrong.

Not dead wrong, but even worse!

He was... Undead wrong.

Now John Leningrad Baylor was sitting on a park. Not even sitting, since that would imply a chair. Rather, his butt was firmly planted on the ground - which had verdant blue Zigonian grass growing on it. The grass moved ever so slightly, for they were long and untrimmed enough to get caught by the wind, and as they swayed they in their blueness kind of resembled flowing water... in an ocean. It reminded Baylor of his homeworld, that damn fringe world, except it didn't have an ocean, it had a pond. With stagnant water.

The park's own pond was even bigger than Baylor's homeworld's one and only body of water. The park's pond was also bioluminescent, with Zigonian plankton species that lit up in the night. It wasn't night yet, but the pond was glowing all the same, so Baylor decided to enjoy that simple sight.

The other Zigonians were enjoying it too. Normally, they wouldn't be out this time of day because it wasn't hot enough for them to lounge around sunbathing, but Baylor guessed that their three-day workweek gave them enough free time to enjoy the park even when it was cool (sure, Ziggies were warmblooded endothermic creatures, but their reptilian origins probably gave them some old habits like lying in the sun for heat) and windy.

John Leningrad Baylor couldn't help but smile at the sight of Zigonian children wagging their tails, spinning hulla hoops in 'em. That was just cute.

He decided to record it in video with his eyes. Well, just one eye. His other eye was looking at the bioluminescent pond and the flyfishing Ziggies, and so with each eye focusing at different things, he kind of looked split-eyed. But that was normal and newer postmen models didn't even need to have their pupils pointed in the right direction. Their eyes could see and focus off-axis.

John Baylor didn't need this feature though, as his attention was taken away from both Ziggie hulla hoops and bioluminescent pond flyfishing. He looked up in the sky and saw the clouds darkening. Well, they were already darkening, but they were even more darkeninger.

At this sight, very quickly did the park vacate, and soon Baylor was practically the last one there - except for the Aduk Egg vender who was closing up his holo-stall and gtfoing. After that guy went away, Baylor pretty much was the last one there.

Thus, nobody was there to behold what would transpire that day.

Lightning flashed in the sky, and deep rumbling followed, as though it was the deep chuckling of some cumulu-nimbus skygod who would soon appease himself. But there was something else flashing, still lightning, but not in the sky and Baylor began to approach the only other discernable lightsource there was with great trepidation.

He neared the bioluminescent lake.

By its shores were the abandoned fishing reels of the Ziggie fly-fishers, and on the lake's placid surface were Ziggie children's toys - boats and inflatable Celestian sea squids.

But there was something under the surface... some great pulsating thing glowing with strange colors that left John agape - his autovocabulator without even an iota of an idea for any suitable word for his brain to use. It was a tesseract - but he didn't know that. It was a blood red hypercube that, under the bluish hue of the lake's glowing plankton, strangely appeared purplish.

Lightning flashed in the sky, and thunder followed.

Likewise, so too did lightning flash from the underwater tesseract - and a huge arcing tendril of green undulated from the water and crackled to Baylor with a horrible whipcrack noise that came only after the fact, by virtue of light being faster than sound. The teal thunderbolt struck him dead center in the chest, and John spasmed as he was electrocutified and as the sand under his feet was glassed, he was lifted into the air. His eyes buldged, his mouth clenched in muscular spasm, he tried to scream but all he could make was a feeble but nonetheless pained 'nnnnngggrrrrrr!' sound as his teeth grinded against one another. He urinated himself.

And then he vanished.

And entered a horrifying landscape of immaterial physicality, where no thing was solid but all things were shapes and forms of various kinds of lights and sounds. A realm not of the material, but of the mental. The Twilight Zone.

A tinge of familiarity hit John Baylor, and he gasped, if he could gasp, while his eyes were still wide open as though he was still electrocuted.

He traversed that mad dreamscape between realities quickly, and like a dreamscape his memories of that event would be muddled and fuzzy. But in the time after, he would recall at one point recognizing something whilst he was still in that strange, strange place.

He saw the blue hypercubes hovering in the black abyss, over the red tesseract's blood-colored horizon. And in that dreamland, he hovered into one of those blue boxes - just one out of many - and entered a land of light.

He was subsequently drenched in rain and mud.

And then punched in the face.

TO BE CONTINUED...
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PLACE HOLDER POST BECAUSE YOU GUYS POST SO FUCKING FAST

I will write what happens to Baylor upon his introduction in the CSW-verse, from Eric Rivers' facepunch to the current events!

BUT FOR NAO I SLEEP!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Booted Vulture wrote:Eric kept pace with Colonel Star as best he could.

"Not wanting to sound negative here, but you do know the guys we're running to right? Am I just swapping being locked up by the bad guys for being locked up by the good guys?"
Starr glanced at the man in black running beside her. She'd chosen not to fly because, well, for one it tended to freak people out and besides, it was a fair bet the USAF had jets up by now and she didn't particularly feel like being targeted by an AIM-130 missile. Against bomlets you at least had a fair chance. "I have no idea who you are or where you're from" she said, and appeared not even the least bit winded, "but Baylor and the Activity are about as close as you'll get to good guys on this continent right now. I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but they're the kind of people my government pays to figure this kind of situation out. So yeah, basically they're your best bet right now."
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

The Tyrax – Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda – 5

Shadowing Starr, the Tyrax leapt silently from tree to tree, making barely a sound. She noticed him and grimaced, which was somewhat fortunate. The Tyrax had been milliseconds from asking her a question and was wondering how extreme her reaction would be if he startled her.

“Look, Mr…. Dinosaur…”

The Tyrax hung from a tree branch in front of Starr. “I am known as the Tyrax in my universe, Lieutenant Colonel.”

Starr rolled her eyes. John would have a field day with that name. “I watched you,” she said. “Compared to ol’ Fantasmic Jack, you’re not exactly a sack of bricks – and figuring that the Copters here Activity wasn’t half bad either.”

“I’m not… incompetent,” the Tyrax mused. “Though I must in turn ask you a question.”

“Shoot,” Starr said. After a pause, she added, “figuratively.”

“There are no less than six – no, seven satellites aimed upon us right now. Is there any chance any of them are weaponized?”

“What do you- oh, yeah. I got you,” said Starr, wiping aside a strand of hair that had plastered to her forehead. “Knowing Teague – he’s pretty much a overparanoid asshole, but it’s gotten him far – I bet he’s got a BRILLIAN PEBB- oh, what am I kidding. You don’t know what that is. Basically, if he freaked out enough, he’d drop a rod of tungsten on us from orbit.”

The Tyrax easily ran the calculations. “The blast would measure close to several hundred kilotons. Few would survive from the party.”

“Man, you are a genius,” said Starr, leaping over a fallen log. “I noticed you kinda sorta – it’s hard to tell with you types, see – twitched when you realized there were two Baylors running around.”

The Tyrax briefly debated answering, before figuring that this lady, being native to the dimension, was most likely his best ticket out of here. “I admit, it’s not exactly farfetched for their to be more than one version of each person if one believes there’s… well, multiple universes, but there always exists a John Baylor in my home verse.”

Starr’s eyebrows shot up. “Really? What’s he like?”

“He’s…” the Tyrax hesitated, before settling on “vastly irritating.”

John Baylor (CSW) – Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda – 2

“You won’t believe this, sir…”

“You’re right. I don’t,” growled Baylor as he shifted the strap of his OICW. “But if that’s really Starr, she’s figured to start leading the group of unknowns towards us.”

“Crap, look at this!” said one of the Corporals, checking the sat-feed. “It looks like the El-Cee is being chased by that SHADOW TEMPEST suit.”

Baylor spun to see the screen hanging in the bay of the helo. “No way… But they’re not fighting. Jeez, it looks like they’re talking.” Sliding his hand through his hair, he slouched in his seat. “This day is getting weirder by the second.”
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

"Halt right there! My name is Fantastic Jack and we come in peace! We offer you our surrender!" The man named Fantastic Jack, being the wussy as he was in Daniel's mind, was far behind him, but had a pose as if his sheer "manliness" will stop the incoming tanks and choppers. Daniel Animus continued waving at the waves of vehicles.

"We come in peace! We are from different dimensions and need help!" Captain Animus shouted, but a hand placed over his shoulder stopped him from moving forward. It was Annava.

"I wouldn't do that." She smiled as she picked Daniel up and tossed him on her back, giving him a piggy back ride.

"What are you.." Daniel protested, but said no more as Annava sprinted towards the other people, who were already moving south.

"You see, I overheard from the Colonel Starr of possibly being from this place, the past of her dimension, possibly, and talks about the people coming after us being from an organization called 'Nightstalkers' being jerks. But, what really got me was that in my time, 2016 was also a big incident. After Contact with the alien species that we allied with," Annava jumped to the left, evading a stone wall, "the US government went into an internal feud between Hawks and the Legits, aka Presidency, Congress, Etc., which seems to be happening the same thing here, except not because of alien contact as far as we know."

"What happened in your 2016?" Daniel Animus said as air got into his mouth. Annava tilted her head up and gave a smile.

"The Pentagon and Military won, became uber-powerful, joined the Gloguk, and spent their spare time interrogating vegans by chomping nice bunny ribs in their face. Yeah, the Hawks were a jerk back then, but they are cool now. I mean, they made me to do their bunny chomping for them. Still, I think this dimension has them a bit more stiffer and less fun."

"I see." Daniel Animus said. "As far as I know, 2016 was the year ancient legends died in the droves. The greatest infomercial superstar in life itself, Bill Mayers, died that year. He was my role model, as well as the role model for all Freelance Traders." They said nothing as they continued following the group.

EDIT: Edited out Omicron 70 taking out Fantastic Jack. I'll wait till he's done before I continue with Omicron 70.
Last edited by Heretic on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Vagrant Orpheus

Post by Vagrant Orpheus »

Jack twisted his body, watching Ginger shoot away in a stream of silvery light, slightly surprised by the action.

What do you know? The little minx is a meta, just like me.

Jack observed that many of the others had also set off in a hasty retreat, but he couldn't help but notice that for all the ones that seemed to be able to move quite fast, there were still regular people amongst them. And even some of those with improved speed probably wouldn't be able to outrun tanks and military helicopters. To be completely honest with himself, Jack realised he cprobably couldn't outrun them. He'd likely get caught up and overrun, given he could only top out at about 45 km/h. Jack pondered on this quandary for a moment, then smiled widely.

Well... I said I probably couldn't take on a whole platoon of military vehicles. Time to put it to the test, I suppose, Jack decided. He held his ground as the tanks approached, his palm still outstretched unwaveringly.

As the vehicles continued to clank forward, Jack Michaels began to feel something he hadn't felt in the longest of times. Concern, and yes, fear that he wouldn't be making it through this alive.

Fantastic Jack just smiled, and as soon as the tanks and helicopters closed within range he rushed forward, cocking his fist back as his glorious muscles propelled him forward into the heroic dash that he fervently believed would buy time for the others.

"FIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEE...."

The gap closed, and a momentary flicker of worry twitched across the confident mask on Jack's face.

"OOOOOHHHHHHHH.........."

The tanks and Jack made contact.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

John Baylor turned back and saw the blonde-haired Australian go mano a mano with an M1A9 Abrams tank, not just one but a whole herd of them, and for a brief moment the Sovereign Marine paused and saluted the brave boy whose noble sacrifice would hopefully buy them the time they needed to go over to the other side... where John Baylor was waiting for them.

"Godspeed," Baylor saluted Fantasmic Jack. "Brave Prince."

Then he turned around and high-tailed it. He followed the hot chick, the athletic blonde military lady who he had been silently oogling ever since the moment they met (that moment that came after Retard Rivers punched him in the face). By following her, he was also keeping pace with that guy... whats his name... the robot dinosaur that looked a bit like General Greivous from CJ Monotow's Star Wars prequels. Namely, that asthmatic arachno-android who kept on going "ACTIVATE RAY SHIELDS" while he dueled Obi-Wan in an epic space battle involving unicycle-starfighters, pterodactyl-space lizard steeds that went "SQUAWK! SQUAWK! SQUAWK!", and a swarm of Giant Space Bats flocking an entire nebula in their epic interstellar mating season all detailed rather explicitly in CJ Monotow's Revenge of the Sith.

That was one of John Baylor's favorite scenes... ever.

The lady, Lieutenant Colonel Alexis Starr, had also mentioned that there was a Baylor in this 'verse. Which was hardly surprising to Baylor, since so far as far as he knew all verses seemed to have Baylors in them. John Baylor knew that, and John Baylor was rather proud that John Baylor managed to be 'friends' with Miss Lt. Col. Starr. She was very easy on the eyes too, especially with the rainwater wet look. That, and the fact that John Baylor was engaged in all sorts of Activities, made John Baylor want to meet with John Baylor.

That would be interesting. John (Leningrad) Baylor usually got along well with his dimensional dopplegangers. Except for that time that evil goatee'd version of him went about assassinating the multiverse's Baylors.

Heh, sure showed him who was 'nobody's bitch'. Baylor thought, and smirked at that.

John Baylor was now going at a very fast jog, more like a sprint, and had managed to reach Alexis and the Titanium Tyrannosaurus, the Rusty Raptor, their General Grievous. When he finally caught up with them, Baylor slowed down and tried to catch his breath - it was very reminiscent of those days back in Boot Camp, with the angry Drill Instructor getting them to march dozens of kilometers while having 'em sing tunes like 'I don't know what I've been told, Bragulan pussy is mighty cold' and stuff like that.

It did not help that while all of the recruits were actually jogging for miles with their legs, their Drill Instructor - by virtue of having sat on a Bragulan chair-mine and having his lower extremities liquified by the Brags' trademark acid, in a rather horrific scene - had had his legs replaced with all-terrain tank treads.

That was another treasured memory of Baylor's and he smirked a shit-eating smirk at the thought of good old days. Before the situation at hand took over and he placed himself back in the present, rather than the future. It wasn't so hard, his brainware allowed him to multitask and multithought... but while he reminisced he had also been playing videos of the memories in question with his brain's flashback player and that was consuming processing power.

So Baylor snapped himself back in the present.

“He’s…” General Grievous hesitated, before settling on “vastly irritating.”

As Grievous finished, Baylor got himself between the robot and Miss Starr. Perfect timing.

"Speak of the Robot Devil," General Grievous commented snidely.

Baylor looked at him blankly, and nodded. In situations like these, it was best to pretend to be a total idiot and to listen to everyone else go on and on - so, for one, you'd get to know what they know, and to know how much exactly they know, and to know if they know more than you know they know you know. Usually, Baylor just pretended to be mute. Sometimes he communicated in Zigonian sign language, which was hard since Ziggies signed with their tails too and Baylor had to create innovative maneuvers to replicate the movements of that extra floppily-doppily appendage.

"Hmmm..." Alexis looked curiously at Baylor, who was dressed in a post-Hawaiian shirt and pants and postsneakers (for sneaking). The post-Hawaiian shirt's postcloth had done its job and wasy by now devoid of a single stain of mud. "Yeah, John would sure love to see this."

Likewise, the gleaming metal killbot scurrying alongside Baylor's other side also looked at him with the glowing red oculars of its sockets, in a rather disconcerting look that also resembled curiousity. Not the curiousity of a rather attractive fighting female, but akin from that of a very deadly-looking dielectric dinosaur.

John Baylor looked at the Tyrax, and then he looked at Alexis, and then he scratched his head. Comically.

"Hmmm..." the Tyrax imitated Alexis' sound as he examined Baylor more closely under the scrutiny of his blood-red optics. "Hmmm, indeed. We both know individuals named John Baylor, and the individuals who we know of bear similar physical attributes to this particular individual right here with us. Perhaps that is a variable in our current predicament?"

"Maybe," Alexis turned to John Baylor. "What's your name, sailor?"

John Baylor looked around, but the gig was up and he decided that it was probably best to answer the lady rather than antagonize her by playing the idiot any longer. He didn't want to get punched in the face again.

"John Baylor, ma'am. USMC."

"Woah," Alexis did a double-take there for a second. "You're in the Marine Corps too?"

"Yep. The United Sovereignty's, not your United States'. From the year 4567, if you're asking. Yeah, I'm a real long way from home," Baylor replied, the last sentence being laden with a heavy dose of sardonics. "Just my luck to have something like this, just when I was out taking a walk in a park too. Goddamn John West. Goddamn him to Space Hell!"

"Who is this John West you speak of?" asked the Tyrax, who John still thought was General Grievous because there were no proper introductions yet and John hadn't caught the robot's name.

"Bah, John West!" John spat, throwing his hands in the air. It was John West's fault that Baylor was now into this multiverse madness. If that goddamn pandimensional prick had just let him get crushinated by that Bragulan tank, none of this would've happened. He (Baylor) would've been dead instead, but that wasn't the point. He looked at Grievous and Alexis once more and went 'bah' again, before answering them properly: "He's Elvis!"

The Lieutenant Colonel facepalmed while the Tyrax, unfamiliar, did a quick intertube search and the first find was a youtubule of the King of Rock in ridiculous attire gyrating his hips. He shook his head with the ball-socket joint on his neck.

"Right, now I've introduced myself and you guys were right. I am John Baylor, apparently one of many... very many. Now, who are you guys?" Baylor asked, seemingly innocently. Then he turned to the Tyrax and grinned goofily in the face of the massive mechanical metal monster. "And are you really General Grievous? Is CJ Monotow's Star Wars an actual-factual reality in the Omniverse? Because I totally did not know that before, but that would be so totally cool!"

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Omicron 70 watched as the man named Fantastic Jack punched out the tanks.

"Human, I believe this isn't the time!" Omicron 70 shouted, but it seemed like Jack took no heed. Omicron 70 had, for a split nanosecond, a dilemma. Should he retreat, which was tactically sound, or help the human out, as was his machine Code of Conduct. And, in that split second, Omicron 70 decided.

"Human, do not expect to take all the honor for yourself!" Omicron 70 increased his vocal volume for his competitor to hear as Omicron 70's feet ignited its jetpacks and he flew up for a few seconds. Underneath Omicron 70 was a chopper. Calculating the trajectory, the Evolutionist Predator fell down onto the helicopter, the blades broken when it came to contact with Omicron 70's skeleton frame. As the feet clamped onto the black glass, Omicron 70 gave a snarl as his booster feet jumped off the falling chopper and landed on top of another.
-Joseph Campbell
Vagrant Orpheus

“… STRIKE!”

Jack’s fist slammed into the front of the first tank, crumpling the armor with ease and sending a shockwave through the machine as the engine faltered and the tank shuddered to a halt. Before the operator had time to restart the engine though, Jack jumped up onto the tank, and slid his fingers into the grooves at the bottom of the main cannon’s turret. His muscles bulged as Jack tore the turret straight out of the tank itself, grunting with the effort as he did.

As he performed his first tank-kill, Jack’s mind raced. He knew he was outmatched, but he had the advantages of being shielded from the other tanks by the one he was on, and he intended to continue that course of action. He doubted that government forces would fire on their own units to tag him, and intended to work that one aspect as much as he could. He also knew that he didn’t have to completely stop the tanks, as he was merely fighting for time. Mobility or firepower kills would be the way to go, and would mean he ran the least risk of killing someone, something he had no intention of doing.

Another advantage he had for him, but only momentarily, was the shock factor. One man charging a whole tank platoon and punching the lead tank into inoperational status was sure to shock and surprise the others, and it would surely take a moment for them to regain their composure. Jack didn’t intend to give them that moment. He hefted the turret by the cannon, holding it high above his head like a giant sledgehammer as he jumped off the first tank and swung hard at the one just behind it

“FIVE-OH HAMMER!”

The turret slammed into the side of the other tank, smashing the treads on the right side and crippling the vehicle. Jack quickly disabled the main cannon by crushing the barrel closed, then made a dash for the next tank. As he ran, it appeared that the tank commanders had gotten over the initial surprise, as cannonry fire began to strike the ground around him. He was buffeted around by the explosions, but as he neared the third tank the cannonry fire stopped, and only the machine-guns continued to hail down at him. Jack smiled widely as the bullets ricocheted off him, stinging badly but doing no more than bruising the body of the toughest man in the world. He’d been right that they wouldn’t fire at other tanks.

“FIVE-OH IMPACT!”

Jack lunged forward, slamming both fists simultaneously into the rear of the tank’s treads, demolishing them completely and grabbing the treads as he pulled back, ripping the linked armor treads right from the tank. He rolled as he dragged the treads along, letting a fourth tank drive straight over him, and gasped as he felt the full weight of the tank bear down on his body. For a moment he thought he’d made a fatal mistake, hearing a crunch and feeling amazing pain as one of his ribs snapped under the weight, but then the treads had passed over him at an angle, leaving him under the exposed belly of the tank, as he’d hoped. Jack punched upwards, digging through armor and clogging up the mechanisms with the ruined treads of the previous tank. He hunched himself, getting into a crouching position as he slid his hands under the treads of the tank and roared with exertion and pain as he attempted to leverage the tank up. He knew his general limit was around fifty tons, this tank had to be at least sixty. But he also knew he wasn’t trying to pick the tank up off the ground completely, just to tip it onto its side. Jack grit his teeth as he strained, sweat rolling down his face and over his now-naked body, his shorts having been lost as the tank drove over him.

The pain flared bright red in his chest and Jack gasped, but a final surge of adrenaline saw the tank lift, slowly, ever so slowly, and tip, falling onto one side and preventing the use of the cannon. With that, the fourth tank was down. But there’d been several tanks, more than fifteen at the least. Jack’s work wasn’t done. He emerged from under the tank…

… and was flung sideways as an artillery shell struck him hard in the side, four tanks having flanked the one he’d gone under, waiting for him to emerge from somewhere. Jack tumbled, rolling across the slick grass and mud, and slid to a stop. He pulled himself up slowly, pain rippling through his body. The side of his torso was raw and bleeding, and Jack was certain there were some more broken ribs. His head rang with rhythmic pulses, as red clouded his vision, but nevertheless Jack stood once more. The pain was beyond what he’d ever experienced, but despite the pain, despite the certainty that he was going to die, Jack felt good, somehow. He wasn’t consciously processing it, but there was a feeling of wholeness, of goodness that had never been there before. It was a feeling that filled him, and Jack realized that though he’d been powerful before, had fought off sea monsters and evil criminals, he’d never really been a hero before. Now he was probably going to die to buy time for a group of people he didn’t know to escape. Now he was an actual hero.

Had it been something he’d yearned for all along? Given the time to think about it, maybe Jack would have come to a conclusion. But he didn’t have the time, and he didn’t think about it, only knowing that he felt perversely good for a man who was being shot by tanks.

“GODDAMN IT!” Jack roared, catching the tank crews off guard. It was likely they’d assumed he’d be felled by the one cannonry shot, and whilst it had injured him severely, it wasn’t over yet. Jack lunged forward as cannons started to fire again, missing him narrowly but throwing him around as he lurched towards another tank. He jumped up onto the tank, and stared straight down the barrel of the cannon., then crouched, springing upwards suddenly, drawing back both arms and bringing his knees up to his chest as he fell. He reared his head back as well, a fearless glint in his eyes.

“FIVE-OH…”

“BUSTER!”

Jack’s legs and arms all snapped down at the same moment, as did his head. All five of them struck the tank simultaneously with immense force, and the front crumpled, the force actually lifting the rear end of the tank up off the ground enough to unbalance it and tip the whole machine onto its side, as flames and debris burst from the front. Jack picked himself up, bleeding heavily from his forehead and weaving drunkenly as he tried to charge at another tank. However, his progress was slow, uneven and all too easy for the remaining tanks to track, and as he made his way towards another iron behemoth a rain of cannonry fire fell on him, engulfing him in a brilliant ball of fire and light.

The tanks clanked into action, reforming themselves into a circle around the fireball, cannons once more lined up and ready to fire. The smoke and flames faded, and it became clear the cannons weren’t needed. Jack was still upright, incredibly, crouched on both legs, one arm bracing him against the ground. The other bled profusely from just below the shoulder. Just below where it was bleeding profusely, the arm ceased to exist. Blood poured out of both of Jack’s ears, his nose and his mouth, and at least one of his eyes appeared to have been burst by the strikes. Skin had been stripped from much of his body by the weaponry, yet still he held himself, shakily, in the crouched pose.

A harsh croak began to issue from Jack’s mouth as the tanks closed in, those vehicles at least ignoring the fleeing dimensional flotsam. He coughed up a splash of blood, and attempted to speak once more.

“Ahh..argh..rrack…”

“Fi…iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive…”

Jack coughed again, a huge spasmodic racking of his body, and collapsed into the bloody crater as the tank crews watched on indifferently, all consciousness fleeing his body.

OOC: Wasn't sure what the tanks of CSW are like, but given it's only 2016 I assumed not so different that Jack couldn't do what he just did.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

As Omicron 70 evaded a heat seeking missile (by cooling his computer systems down), he saw the tanks below forming a circle around the unconscious human, who was hurt bad. The tanks did not seem to want to kill him, as they didn't fire or seem to do so. Just stand there. Omicron 70 jumped down from the helicopter that he was using as a platform and landed near the unconscious Jack. Staring around the tanks, Omicron 70 swooped up Jack, giving the tanks one last glance, increased his bipedal pistons and speed past an opening through the tanks before curving around and darting south. The tanks fired, but Omicron 70 kept speeding on, doing his best to protect Jack from shrapnel and the blasts.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Tank Commander Russell Leman did a proverbial spit-take as the electrolytes he ingested from his CamelBack went coming out of the wrong holes, namely his nostrils. The first time this had happened was when a half-naked blonde man had apparently ruined the shit out of his tank group, ruined the shit out of them not with something like Soviet-spec anti-tank lasers or anything, but with his goddamn fists - by punching the turrets off his goddamn Abrams.

Now they were on the verge of capturing Blondie. Sure, the man was metahuman, could've done things like those goddamn Soviet Cyborgs or even good ole' Uncle Sam's own Stars n' Stripes, but communist cybernetics or space radiation or beach trunks and blonde hair, good old combine arms and firepower superiority still won the day!

At the sight of Blondie being the recepient of Uncle Sam's own righteously administered shit-ruining, Tank Commander Russel Leman grinned a satisfied (Athenian) grin. The beach boy was missing an arm, an eye, was totally naked and clothed only in damn ugly-looking second-degree burns all over his body. The game was over.

Plan had been to incapacitate and capture Blondie by using one of the surrounding tanks' machineguns to give him a lovetap with a single .50 caliber round to his forehead. That, Leman guessed, would've been enough to put him down but not put him out, since previously he had been able to resist small arms. Had they KO'ed Blondie, they'd have tagged him and bagged him and brought him back to Teague - who would've been most pleased with Leman's work.

But it didn't go according to plan. Hell, the plan wasn't even in accord when it happened.

Tank Commander Russell Leman did a proverbial spittake when an impossibly fast blur came and whisked Blondie away - an impossibly fast blur that was so fast that his tanks didn't even have enough time to stop it when it literally picked Blondie up and very quickly hauled his ass outta there.

"Shit! Fuck! Cocksucking bitch-tits! Jesus breast-bleeding Christ!" Tank Commander Russell Leman screamed as he finished coughing out the water from his throat. He banged his fist on one of the armored panels of his tank's interior and immediately regretted doing so. "Whores! Stop them! Don't let them get away! Whores! Whores! Whores! WHORES!"

His tank crews were professional and before he had shrieked his stream of profanities, they were already on the move. By the time he had shrieked his stream of profanities, the tanks were firing, missile tubes sending heatseekers and electrothermal-chemical cannons blasting specialized anti-personnel rounds towards the fleeing Omicron 70 - namely canister shells that detonated and sent a shotgun-like spray of hypersonic buckshots.

"Goddamn it! It's not going down! Fuckle! Fuckle!" Tank Commander Russell Leman shouted once more. Instead of banging his fists on some other very hard and painful object, he instead began stamping his foot on the crew compartment's floor. "What the fuck is that thing?!"

"Sir!" one of the tankers (from another tank) said (through radio). "It looks like its a skinny... dorky-looking robot!"

"What?! Huh?!" this day was just getting worse.

"It moved fast, but not fast enough to activate our CIWS, but our scopes were able to catch it. Instant replay in slowmotion got us a good look at that metal motherfucker's mug. Sending the image, sir."

"That's one ugly metal motherfucker," Russell agreed. "Doesn't look like any Soviet or WEU design I know of, definitely not ours. But it's still a goddamn robot. Now, what are you looking at, gentlemen? We're equipped to deal with goddamn hardened Soviet Cyborgs, so start pumping out countermeasures! ECM! Jam that fucker! If any of you got EM-pulse shells, use 'em!"

"Acknowledged, sir. Begin jamming systems on all wavelengths. We'll get that 'bot, or scramble his microchips trying!"

OOC: They're trying to use ECM to screw with Omicron's electronics. Orph IMed me, he wanted Fantastic Jack captured and then rescued later rather epically... but Heretic's latest response precluded that. So Orph and I discussed and thought that it would be awesome if Fantastic Jack (and Omicron) ended up escaping the tanks but hiding BEHIND ENEMY LINES.

So I hope the ECM at least affects Omicron's navigational equipment. So that Omicron and the injured Jack can be separated from the main group and the two of them can have BUDDY COP ADVENTURES by themselves!

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Omicron 70 dashed as fast as he could with Fantastic Jack's weight on him. His systems were heating up, that was a danger with the heatseekers the tanks were shooting out, but Omicron 70 was clever enough to hide his signature by ducking and weaving and zig-zagging all around the various obstacles that were in his way. Travel in a straight line and the tanks might as well be shooting headless post-turkeys for Thanksgiving, but travel in a digitally randomized flight pattern optimized by Omicron's robot brain to evade enemy counter-fire and the tanks would have a much harder time.

The enemy forces would expect him to immediately regroup with the others, to run straight for them, but Omicron 70 had factored that in his computations and his path was not a straight line back to the Giant Metal Dinosaur And His Band of Merry Friends. But no siree. Doing that, leading the tanks back to the others, would be a betrayal of Fantastic Jack's noble sacrifice and Omicron would not want to make Jack's act of compassion in vain. So Omicron wasn't travelling in a straight line. He wasn't even travelling in a curved line.

The enemy force hadn't expected that. Omicron had seen, with his sensors, the flanking force they had sent to intercept him had he ran straight back to the group. But he hadn't, so the flanking force probably felt pretty stupid right now.

But Omicron also felt pretty stupid right now too. He was checking his course computations since he would reroute his course and head back to the main group, but he began noting a course deviation in his route. Likewise, he was also detecting telltalle signals coming from the enemy tanks. Countermeasures. Jamming. Pretty powerful jamming too... like the kind of ECM designed to counter cyborgs and robots back in his own universe.

That was bad.

To the robot, the sensation of being jammed felt like a tingling, prickling sensation and Omicron felt that too.

He also felt something wet and loose that was coming off. He looked at his hand and detected that he was holding a piece of Fantastic Jack's skin that had peeled off from his burns.

That was also bad.

Omicron accessed his files on human anatomy and checked if he had anything for 'repairing' humanoids. But at the same time, he began computing for the best course of action. He was a robot, one that wasn't optimized for human healthcare (he did not come with a bed pan scooper, for one). Also, he lacked any resources whatsoever. The best course of action would be to put the injured Fantastic Jack in a hospital, where there would be doctorbs and nuerses to administer emergency aid to the damaged humanoid.

But Omicron also computed that the enemy would expect that course of action. They would watch the hospitals.

So Omicron began to calculate randome altarnate routes (RARs!). He passed by a stray dog and, strangely, a human-like idea struck the robot's robot brain. In his own universe, the humans had strange medical facilities that did not cater to humanoid beings, but were instead dedicated to neutering pet animals and euthanizing some of them too. The possibility that the enemy would expect Omicron to take his injured human meat-baggage to a vetrinarian was a remote one, so that would be the course of action Omicron would take. To avoid the enemy but bring his friend to medical care.

Omicron 70 would find a vetrinarian. He computed that if vets could take care of organic meat-creatures, then they could take care of organic-meat men too. After all, they were all the same anyway, am i rite?

OOC: Posted with Heretic's approval!

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

"Wait, what about Omicron 70?!" Daniel Animus, who was holding onto Annava's neck as she sped through, yanked her back, as if she was a horse. Annava skidded and gurgled.

"Ugh...what the heck?" Annava shurgged him off as the came to an alleyway. She looked around. "That robot? I dunno. Last time I saw him he was still near that speedo blond stud." Annava pulled out her SAW as she took cover behind a garbage bin. "Look, I don't think we can go back there, I'm sorry." Annava said as they heard explosions. Daniel shook his head.

"I'm not worried about that. Omicron 70 is ancient enough to handle his own against 2016 tanks and helicopters. What I'm worried about is him interacting with that "Fabulous Jack'. Omicron 70, despite being.." Captain Animus of The Shark took out his revolver as he stepped behind Annava, "..a war machine from one of the last remaining ancient superpowers, is very protective to friendly and neutral organics, as well as some machines. If we don't find them fast, and that Jack is still alive, i cannot fathom what fates worse than death might occur to Omicron." Daniel looked over a corner. "I say we go back."

Annava shook her head. "He might have escaped already, if this Omicron machine is as strong as you presume he is. Also, if we don't hurry, we might get lost ourselves." With that, Annava holstered her SAW onto her back again, and picking Daniel up, sped through the street, sensing the group's presence a bit south.

A veterinary clinic. Omicron 70 cracked the door open. There were no vets, but if he could go through the computers' memory, there might be a way to fix up MR. Speedo. Laying the charred man carefully on the operating table, Omicron 70 went to a nearby office computer and plugged into it. There, after bypassing cheesy archaic security programs, he learned all he could about burns and bodies, the human body when its burned, and the procedures needed to help a burned body. After getting what he needed, Omicron 70 went back to the operating table and reached for the cotton swab and anti-infection liquid bottle.

Alright Shroom, being the nurse, you're gonna have to help me in this medical operation.
-Joseph Campbell
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Meanwhile, in another part of the park, another four-tank platoon was busy with its own chase. A pair of attack helicopters had spotted something that they had deemed worth investigating earlier and the platoon had moved in to have a look. However, once that... well, whatever that freak was* had started literally tearing apart tanks, all bets were off. Which meant that things "worth investigating" now mean "valid target." It was good enough for the tank crew and the attack chopper pair, at any rate.

Although, admittedly, the target they were chasing down was pretty damn weird all things considered.

For one thing, it looked pitch black. Even through the advanced optics of the tanks and the helicopters it looked absolutely pitch black. No matter the mode the optics switched to, all they saw was a blob of something blacker than Satan's asshole. No doubt it would've made the thing hard to spot with the ol' Mk I Eyeball, especially considering the time and the weather. However, to the crews of the tanks and choppers it stuck out like a sore thumb--and that was all that mattered.

One of the tanks had fired at the thing with a HEAT round, but it had seemingly done nothing to it as it had kept going. anothr tank had taken that as the cue to pepper it with a canister shot, and yet another with a sabot round. To top it all off, the choppers had joined in and cut lose with Hellfire missiles and cannon.

The thing kept going. However, it was visibly slowing down. Through their optics they could also see that the edges of the black thing were starting to warp and wobble, like a piece of gelatin that kept getting poked. Naturally, that only encouraged the crews to pepper it even more.

=_=_=_=_=_=

Rasa bit back a scream. The attacks were hurting It, and It was angry. When It was angry, It raged at her. It clawed at the back of her mind, Its near-constant unearthly song--usually a lonely, desperate song--became one of fury and mania. It trilled at the back of her mind, causing her spine to tingle uncontrollably. The sides of her head began to pulse. They pulsed to the song of Its wrath, pounding at her brain. Her eyes began to itch and throb, so badly that a normal person' would've been reduced to tears before being driven mad enough by the pain to claw their own eyes out.

She had endured worse. She still remembered. Remembered the cold abandonment, the burning heat of the desert sun, and the emptiness of hunger. She remembered the slow, desperate pain of near death. Then there was the man. He still saw his face clearly, even as she recalled the confusion she had felt looking upon the face. After that, the was only It and Its song. She remembered the timeless wandering, only vaguely aware of It killing traveler upon helpless traveler as It dragged her along, rendered numb and mindless with Its song. That's what she called what It had subjected her to Its song. She could not explain it, she did not have the words. She only knew that it had torn through her mind and made her sing with It. And so she had sang with the only song she had known--despair, loneliness, pain. And during their song, that was all it sang to her. Their despair and their desperate loneliness.

Then came Justinian. He'd made it stop singing, so she had stopped singing. Then he had giver her his song. His song had no words, and did not ring through her mind. The only sound was that of the bells he had given her, the ones she now used to keep Its song from taking her as it once had. Instead, she had been taken into Justinian's song. It was a strange song. There was so much running, so much panic, so much energy. There were so many things that had tried to kill them, so many things they'd had to kill to prevent that, and so much more deaths between all those. A lot like Its song, except different. Justinian's song was warm. It wasn't lonely. It wasn't sad.

That was enough for her.

Now the attacks pounded at them steadily, a symphony all of its own. It didn't like that, and It sang its rage at her. They were nothing like Justinian's song. They were trying to silence him, she will not let them. Justinian's song was beautiful, and she liked being part of it. They would not take it away. She didn't care how much it hurt her--they would not take it away!

Of course, that did not meant that they did not try. Try as she might, they were getting to It, and It was getting to her. She could not hold out much longer, not at the level of power she'd made it use right now. She clutched the bell around her neck. She could give It more. But giving It more made Its song louder, and if its song got to loud she would not be able hear Justinian's song anymore as It would force her to sing with It again. She would not allow that, especially not with her holding on to Justinian.

However, that gave her a problem. A problem she could not solve. If she did not give It more power, Its shielding ability would fail soon. They would all die, their songs would end. If she gave It power, she could lose control It would then force her to sing with him. It would devour Justinian, and his song would stop. Neither she wanted to happen. In her quadary over the matter, she lost focus.

That was enough.

A simultaneous impact from a HEAT round and a Hellfire missile broke her shadow barrier's cohesion. Suddenly they were exposed, easy meat for the plethora of high explosive ordinance pointed their way. Guns traversed toward them, missiles aimed at them.

The vehicles fired.

=_=_=_=_=_=

The projectiles never made contact.

They exploded as a spherical wave of psychokinetic push struck them, split seconds before the wave struck the two leading tanks of the platoon and hurled them into the air like children's toys. One of the thrown tanks slammed into a third tank's turret, bending the barrel and knocking the turret partially off its coupling, before the tank continued on for a few dozen feet before slamming into the ground in a heap.

The other tank flew toward one of the attack choppers. Its pilot was fast enough to avoid getting the body of his aircraft from getting hit directly. The tank, however, still clipped his chopper's main rotor, snapping the blades off in a spectacular show of flying metal. The chopped dropped abruptly, burying itself into the ground, before going up in a massive fireball.

From his perch on Justinian's head, Tribonian sat calmly. It looked at the remaining tank in what would probably have been a dismissive look had the face of his quail body been capable of expression. Before its crew could recover from the shock of seeing their comrades so casually thrown, Tribonian focused a psychokinetic burst at it. The tank flew up, as if flipped by a massive hidden catapult, and arced toward the remaining chopper.

The second pilot's chopper wasn't as fast as the first. He only had time to open his mouth to scream before the tank struck the vehicle's fuselage and crumpled it in midair so violently that it sheared off from under its own main rotor. The now free rotor blades zipped away wildly before landing right in front of an APC, scaring the Jesus Hubert Christ out of the crew.

The immediate threats gone, the quail calmly declared, It would be prudent to continue our retreat.

EDIT: *refers to Fantastic Jack, in case that wasn't clear
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Vagrant Orpheus

Pain. Pain inside his head. Red, Lots of red. Sledgehammers, also inside his head. Somehow, Jack had wound up with every possible painful thing he could think of inconceivably stuffed inside his skull.

Jack' woke up, finding it strange that he didn't need to open his eyes, but things didn't jump into focus. The whole situation was blurry, and bright pops of light continued to go off constantly within his field of vision. Something was moving, but Jack couldn't focus enough to work out what it was.

In sharp contrast to the tremendous chaos of his vision, Jack's field of hearing was completely silent. There was sharp buzzing and a squealing noise, but these were more of the headnoises. Jack sharply contrasted his headnoises with his outnoises. Of which there were none. Jack opened his mouth, feeling jolting pain as his jaw creaked open, and he licked his lips. Or tried to at least. His lips weren't there. The pain that lashed over his face was exquisite, and Jack couldn't help but let loose an ungodly howl of pain. But despite the pain in his jaw and throat, he didn't hear the scream at all. Just the buzzing.

Jack felt the blood welling up in his throat. Whoever was treating him didn't appear to be familiar with first aid, because as Jack well knew from his surf-lifesaving courses the first thing you did was clear the airways and tilt the victim on their side with mouth open and angled so as to drain fluids. Jack decided to roll so he could do so, unmindful of any other injuries he might have. Worsening an injury meant nothing if he suffocated. Jack tried to roll. His neck tilted slightly, but he didn't roll.

Then it struck him. He couldn't feel his body. Nothing. Not a twitch. No pain below the throat, nothing at all. No numbness, no tingling, not even the subtle pressure of whatever he was lying against.

Jack opened his mouth and screamed once more, his superhuman throat belting out wall-shaking screams that were loud enough to wake the whole neighbourhood and attract attention from blocks away. All he heard was buzzing.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

The IV tube part was tricky. The man, screaming like all wimpy humans in pain do, tilted his head, and blood fell spilled down. Omicron 70 then realized that organics relied on their airways for life, and decided to tilt the man sideways. Slowly. And then after taking the remaining chars of clothes off, stuck the IV tube up Jack's rear, the IV fluids pumping in. Rectal Fluid Resuscitation as it was called. Omicron 70 grabbed a few pillows and elevated the buttocks a bit. Then, Omicron 70 took a nearby gas mask, but promptly tossed it when his sensors realized that it was connected to a euthanization canister. After finding the right oxygen canister and mask, he plugged it around Jack's mouth, who breathed hard. After disinfecting the wounds and making some holes (so sayeth the virtual textbook he got from the internet) to relieve pressure, Omicron 70 stopped for a moment to think. Even though he could possibly hack into the interwebs some more and get needed information, there was no equipment to do anything more complex than keep Jack alive. He was a soldier, not a doctor, damnit! Omicron 70 scanned his options and gave a dark chuckle. To think that he would surrender to the enemy.. Well, Omicron 70 did not want to risk tampering the timeline by going into a public hospital.

Taking hold of the operating table, Omicron 70 ripped it from its foundations (there were a few more, so organics with their little pets need not worry) and balancing it with one arm, wheeled the Oxygen and IV rack out the broken door, and headed back to the park.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Things started exploding.

Their Merry Band had gotten a headstart, but attack helicopters and tanks were by no means slow and it wasn't surprising that they were catching up. Just after the Tyrax and Lt. Col. Alexis Starr, as he now knew their names to be, had answered his question and after the disappointment of CJ Monotow's Star Wars not being an actual-factual 'verse in the Omniverse, Baylor had heard the sound of the battle's beginning.

He paused and turned around. He focused with his post-eyes, trying to look far back at where Fantasmic Jack was. The half-naked Aussie had leapt far and wide, high enough to leap over tall buildings, and had run quite a long distance faster than a bullet that wasn't speeding but was instead obeying traffic laws. His superhuman speed had allowed him to intercept the leading tanks in advance before they could come near, and that bought the Merry Band much - much - time.

But that wasn't going to be enough.

Baylor cupped his hands around his focusing post-eyes, as if holding an invisible pair of binoculars, and watched the battle begin. Not with a bang, not with a whimper, but with the sound of hard impact - the sound of a tank getting its front end crumpled by a fist. That was quite a feat, John had seen it done by a Bragulan cybercommando who had his arm replaced with a sledgehammer, but to see it being done by a half-naked Aussie Blondie with his bare hands -

"Holy shit," Baylor muttered. "The kid might just slow them down enough..."

A firm and surprisingly strong hand grabbed his arm. It belonged to Alexis, and now the striking blonde woman was looking at him very seriously.

"John," Alexis Starr said tersely. "We have to go now."

"Right," Baylor nodded, cutting his glance off Fantasmic Jack and resuming his running. Then, from the distance, he could hear the sound of tank fire. Unlike the tanks from his verse, these tanks didn't have silencers on their cannons and more explosions rang out as the cannon fire mixed with detonating shells. Then the distinct sound of metal against metal, of things - big things - being crushed by other big things.

The party ran in silence for a moment, all listening to the distant sound of battle. As abruptly as they began, the sounds ceased.

"So..." John Baylor began. He looked at Alexis, looked rather worriedly at her. "We're running to your John Baylor, right?"

"Yes," she nodded. "Well, not my John Baylor, but -"

"What can he do against Teague? What can he do about those tanks on our backs?" John asked. "Can he get them off our tails?"

"I hope he can," Alexis replied.

"'Cause if he can't, then we're gonna be -" Baylor didn't get to complete his sentence, as another round of explosions began. This time, they were much closer now. Accompanied by the whop-whop-whop of helicopter rotors, and the shriek of incoming missiles. "Down!"

Alexis and the Robot Rex were well ahead of him, thanks to their superhuman reflexes, but postman Baylor was no slouch and he threw himself in the ground all the same. The missiles passed by overhead and detonated further away, as though they weren't aimed at them. The blasts sent mud and water flying and raining down on them and Baylor gritted his teeth. He got mud on his face, what a big disgrace.

He looked back at where the missiles came from and saw, not too far away, a bunch of helos - AH-72 Ospray attack tiltrotors, if Baylor had his useless old military trivia knowledge right - encircling a... big... black... thing. The thing was big and black and was waving its midnight-dark tendrils, swatting away incoming missiles and rockets. Rounds blew up against it, seemingly harmlessly, but a combination of Hellfires and HEATs sent it staggering/slithering backwards. The Shadow was taking on the tanks and helicopters, and it was being beaten back.

"What the hell is that?" Baylor gaped, before the Shadow swatted away another missile and it came flying their way. "Shit, get down!"

Again, Baylor threw himself down but as he did so, he tackled the foxy redhead who was still standing and together they hit the dirt. The missile missed, again, and again a rain of mud and muck ensued.

"Hey there," John smirked as all sorts of grime fell upon them. He tried his best impression of a Han Solo grin, just to disarm the situation. The redhead... Tiffany, that's what she was called, yeah, didn't really look reassured.

She shoved him off her and got up.

"Stay low!" Baylor scrambled, trying to grab her before another stray missile could take her head off, but she wasn't being cooperative and she rebuffed his advances. "What's the matter with you, gingerknot?!"

"The kids!" she shouted, pointing at the direction of the withering Shadow creature. "I think they got left behind, I think the tanks got to them!"

"Shit! No!" Baylor scrambled up and circled his hands around his eyes, invisible-binoculars on again. "I can't see them, but... two kids, right? The girl and the boy with the goddamn bird?"

"Yes, they're not with us. They might have not kept up with us and..."

"And we can't leave them." Baylor removed his binoculars and headed for the direction of the Shadow. As much as they had to run away from this Teague character, there was no way in hell he was going to leave kids behind to get run over by tanks. Shadow monster or no Shadow monster, Blondie Aussies or no Blondie Aussies, 2016 shithole Earth military or no 2016 shithole Earth military... Fuck it.

"John! We still have to get to John, John!" Alexis Starr stopped him, holding his arm with her hand. "If we don't, then we will end up like that Jack guy and I can't let that happen to any of us left. You included."

"I'm not leaving kids behind, goddamn it!" Baylor tried to pull his hand free, but the Lieutenant Colonel's grip was vice-like. She was no dainty lady, but Baylor didn't like his hands tied behind his back or held back by anyone and he moved to dislodge her grip with his own moves. It was moot, she was practically unmovable, but there was no way in hell he was going to change his mind. "Let go."

Alexis shook her head and released him.

He looked at her and nodded. He knew where she was getting at. Going back for anyone, Fantastic Jackasses or defenseless kids, was definitely dumb when the enemy was now popping artillery shells and Hellfires like disposable condoms, but still! They were non-coms, civilians, and shit. They were kids.

"Thanks," Baylor rubbed his arm, that grip was definitely more than just vice-like. "Give John Baylor my regards, Lieutenant Colonel. I'm going to get the kids back."

"Good luck," Alexis Starr replied. She realized that this man from another dimension, another universe, had way more than just a few things in common with 'her' John. "John."

Hrm... only my friends call me John. I wonder... Baylor thought. Then he turned around and began to jog back for the kids...

When things went BAM! and a HUEG blast knocked Baylor back on his ass. The blast was so strong that when Baylor's ass landed on the mud, he and his ass kept on moving backwards and his butt ended up carving a small trench in the mud. Likewise, the others got hit by the shockwave too and Tiffany's labcoat ended up getting mud in its face too. Big disgrace.

Baylor looked at the source of the explosion, the place where the Shadow was, but instead of a plume of fire and smoke he instead saw tanks and APCs flying in the air. They flew into the helos, swatting them out of the skies, and then another tank was thrown into the sky.

"Oh man," Baylor uttered in awe. Immediately he got his invisible binoculars and focused at the site.

When the armored vehicles and battle tanks stopped flying into the air and hitting flying aircraft, two figures emerged from the smoke and heat haze of the burning M1A9 Abrams and AH-79 Ospreys. A girl, a boy, and a quail in his ushanka hat.

"Oh man."

Alexis Starr walked up behind Baylor and grabbed his Hawaiian shirt's collar. Then, without bothering to pick him up, she began pulling him by his Hawaiian shirt's collar.

"That's it," Alexis said with finality as Baylor's butt slid on the ground and continued the trench it had just made on the mud. "We're out of here."
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Annava didn't believe what she just saw. A huge shadowy monster with lots of tendrils enlarge out of nowhere from the park and smack around the tanks and helicopters.

"What is that?" Daniel Animus holstered his gun as he grabbed Annava's wrist. "Well, no bother. We gotta get out of here." Annava nodded and dashed back to the group, a helpless Captain Animus flying behind her.

"Whoever that was, it's distracting the Nightstalkers. Let's go before it sees us." Annava glanced at Animus as they turned a corner. As she looked straight, she saw that Baylor dude being dragged by Alexis Starr. She ran next to the Colonel and smiled as she slowed her pace.

"Hey, where we going?" She laughed as she realized that both women, Alexis and Annava, had a man being dragged.
-Joseph Campbell
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

John Baylor (CSW) – Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda – 3

"Jesus Christ," John Baylor growled. The day just kept on getting better. Their pilot had to frickin' make evasive maneuvers because he was scared of getting clipped by a flying tank or something. When you get nearly rocked off your seat because your pilot was moving to dodge incoming projectiles that weren't SAMs or even Soviet laser beams, but actual-factual Abrams tanks being thrown at the sky, you know your day was just awesome. In a totally not-awesome and more-horrible way. "Jesus Effing Christ. What the hell just happened?"

"The Shadow thing disappeared and tanks started flying, sir." Gunnery Sergeant Fletcher replied, a little bit unsure himself.

"Right, I can see that," Baylor said, slightly sardonically. "But... how the hell... that's not the point. Gunny, how close is Teague to them?"

"Very close. Practically right over them. Well, would be if their advance tanks and choppers hadn't gotten blown away. More are incoming, though."

"Even if Teague's an idiot, I hope to hell they'll exercise some caution after their leading forces just got disabled and crippled by what amounts to a naked blonde beach bum in swimming trunks, and wiped out by a big... black... thing that's apparently guarding a pair of little kids," Baylor muttered to himself.

"And a quail, sir."

"Yes, and a quail. Looks like Alex's finally flying together with birds of the same feather," Baylor grinned at that horrible quip. "That blonde beach bum would probably rate at around near her level... speaking of which, have we tracked him?"

"Yes, we have. The thing - the non-biological entity #2 - that extracted the blonde beach bum in swimming trunks made a beeline for what looks like a vetrinarian clinic, after he GTFO'ed from Teague's tanks."

"Swimming Trunks got hurt pretty bad, didn't he?" Baylor asked.

"Yeah... and now satellites show NBE-2 heading out and about the vet clinic. He's got Swimming Trunks and... it looks like he's doing another medevac. Not surprising, they won't have anything useful in that clinic to treat Swimming Trunks... he's heading... heading for Teague's troops?!"

"What? No!" Baylor spat. "Do we have anyone who can intercept them and extract them? If so, send someone in! We can't let Teague get Beach Boy and NBE-2! No way in hell."

Result:

Hopefully good guys can extract Fantastic Jack and Omicron before they get to Teague. Hopefully.

Heretic

Post by Heretic »

The sight of the huge monstrous shadow creature did surprise Omicron, but seeing that it wanted to only protect the children, decided not to take any action and wait, hiding behind a building as to minimize risk of an Abram squishing the human. When it disappeared, Omicron 70 continued walking forward, Jack on the operation table balanced on one hand, and IV and oxygen rack pushed by the other.
-Joseph Campbell
Magister Militum

Post by Magister Militum »

OOC: I would have posted the actual fight, but I'm somewhat pressed for time, so, for know, you'll have to settle with the intro.

Today was not a very good day for Gabrielle Chevalier. First, she was teleported across space and time to some primitive version of Earth alongside many others, and now the military forces of said Earth were on the verge on wiping out everyone after incapacitating the blond haired man in shorts. Well, they were, anyways, until a giant shadow creature appeared out of nowhere and started laying waste to the primitive tanks of this Earth. More were coming, though, and it was best that Chevalier not invite the madman in charge of the assault into launching a kinetic energy bombardment via throwing herself into the fray.

With the chaos somewhat subsiding, Chevalier made a quick headcount with her sensors. Everyone, including the children and bird that were caught in the cross hairs of a tank platoon, were now moving south except...

"There are still two more left behind, and there heading toward incoming hostiles!" shouted Chevalier to Starr, who continued to keep up with Chevalier.

"For Christ's sakes, this is getting out of hand," muttered Starr. "We can't let Teague get his hands on either of them.”

“I'll go,” responded Chevalier as stopped in her tracks. “I'm one of the few people in our group that could survive anything they throw at me, including their orbital kinetic weapons. I'll need help, however, if were going to extract the droid and the injured blond guy.”

The Tyrax nodded his mechanical head. “I will help you in carrying the injured human while you fend off the incoming military strike force. Hopefully, we can hold off the attackers long enough to allow the Baylor of this universe to come to our aid.” If the Tyrax were human, his stomach would have most likely churned at the mere combination of the words 'Baylor' and 'aid', but he kept his own misgivings to himself.

“Alright, you two go back, while the others and I link up with John and send over a proper medivac. You'll have needed to clear the areas of all hostiles, though.” said Starr.

Chevalier grabbed her repeater and checked the ammo levels. “That won't be a problem.” Setting the elemental forge in her repeater to create only pure kinetic penetrators from her universal ammo clip (anything with even the lightest warhead would be massive overkill), Chevalier activated her counter-gravity generators and sped off to Omicron and Jack's location at fantastic speeds, while the Tyrax followed close.

Result: Chevalier and the Tyrax to the rescue!
Democratic Socialist | Atheist | Transhumanist | Bright Green Environmentalist | Worldbuilder | IT Professional |

Germania your game is through, now you're gonna answer to... The Freestates! Fuck Yeah! Now lick my balls and suck on my cock! Freestates, Fuck Yeah! Coming in to save the motherfuckin' day! Rock and roll, fuck yeah! Television, fuck yeah! DVDs, fuck yeah! Militums, fuck yeah! - Shroomy
Destructionator

Post by Destructionator »

Adam and Leila kept up a poor pace. Unlike the post-humans with their post-shoes and post-muscles, they were poorly equipped for running on wet mud through a crater ridden park. Well, Adam was anyway, but Leila couldn't very well just leave him.

Realizing this, they took the scenic route. While the others could just escape with post-run speed, they had to use some kind of stealth.

*CRASH*

"Jesus Christ!"

Adam and Leila instinctively closed their ears tightly and pointed them away from the incredibly loud noises whilst increasing in speed.

They made their way to a nearby wooded area, using the trees and the diversion created by the fighting madman (rushing into a tank column ain't their idea of courage) to cover their moves.

*BOOM* Adam literally jumped at the sound, loud even through his closed ears. The actual sound wasn't so bad compared to some of the other thing's he's been through: space shuttle launches, a factory's heavy machinery, or even setting off bombs for experiments.

But none of them are as instinctually or as actually terrifying as war machines. In all those cases, there were fences, warning timers, abort buttons, safety barriers, hard hats, eye and ear protection - they were all strictly controlled with multiple layers of precautions taken for everyone's safety.

Here, there was none of that. It is mere luck keeping them from being eviscerated.

And there was little they could do about it except keep moving through the trees, hoping the Cosmic Author Maj John Baylor comes to the rescue sooner rather than later.

Or, at least, if the others would stop meta-stirring post-shit up, maybe the steel rain would let up and they can just hide and wait it out.... but as another one zipped back into the fray, that was looking very unlikely.
His Certifiable Geniusness, Adam D. Ruppe (My 'verse)
Marle: Lucca! You're amazing!
Lucca: Ain't it the truth! ... Oh, um...I mean...
Marle: Enough with the false modesty! You have a real gift! I would trade my royal ancestry for your genius in a heartbeat!

"I still really hate those pompous assholes who quote themselves in their sigs." -- Me
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Justinian looked around at the wrecked vehicles. The aircraft, and one of the tanks that had been hurled directly into one of the aircraft, were in smoldering, flaming heaps. The rest of the tanks were quite wrecked; so violently had Tribonian hurled them.

“We left such as mess again…” Justinian sighed.

For some reason, most of his time-jumping had him ending in places and situations where he and his companions had to do a frightful amount of damage just to survive. There some relatively calm times and places, but those were few and far between. Form the way things were going, it seemed that he would be having the same kind of luck with universe-jumping.

We really should continue our escape, Tribonian pressed. As if to accentuate the little pseudo-quail’s point, there were faint sounds of more approaching vehicles getting less faint by the minute.

“Yeah, I guess…” he trailed off, turning to the girl still clutching his arm, “You all right?”

Rasa looked a little unsteady. The effort it had taken for her to control her shadow and use it to block several hits of high-explosive and high-impact ordinance, coupled with the effort needed to keep the entity sealed in her shadow from taking control, had clearly taken a toll on her. Upon hearing his question, however, she quickly steadied herself. She turned to look at him, her dark eyes looking up at his.

“Yes.” she answered simply in Mandarin Chinese, her voice almost a whisper.

“Okay, good.” Justinian grinned and ruffled her hair affectionately. After all, a good owner always took care of his pets.

Justinian then looked up, giving a quick glance around. It seems that they had fallen behind even more now. Even at their fastest run, they wouldn’t be able to catch up now. They’d probably fall behind and get caught up by the other approaching vehicles. It sounded like there were way more of them now, so fighting those off would be not be as big a guarantee. He needed to find a faster way to escape, quickly.

His gaze fell on one of the tanks. It was he one that had been clipped by one of the thrown tanks and it looked like it had taken the least damage. Its turret was half off its coupling, its main gun crumpled and bent. He saw two of the crewmen try to scramble out of the turret.

“Tribonian, your cue.”

At the boy’s command, a psychokinetic blast ripped the turret clean off the already damaged tank. It was sent flying, the crewmen within it screaming helplessly. The remaining crewman, the driver, had also been scrambling out of the now-turret-less tank body. Seeing the turret go flying, the driver pulled out a gun and aimed it at the trio. Before he could pull the trigger, he suddenly found the gun ripped out of his grip.

“Hi!” Justinian called out pleasantly. “We could use a lift.”

A shadow that had warped itself around the man, inhumanly fast, waited for the driver’s answer. The driver, taking a quick look at the devastation around him, quickly made a decision.

“S-sure, h-hop on.”

Justinian beamed, “Great!”

Justinian jogged over to the tank and climbed on top. After pulling Rasa up, he and the girl jumped into the circular hole once occupied by the tank’s turret. Standing in the open space, the boy took another look and saw the faint outlines of the rest of the group he’d tried to follow earlier.

The boy pointed toward their general direction.

“That-a way, my good man.”

Result: Justinian, Rasa, and Tribonian hijack a turret-less M1A9, essentially take its driver hostage, and head over toward the group as fast as said tank can go.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Dakarne

Post by Dakarne »

Emily was amongst those who had decided to turn back towards the endless march of tanks and helicopters, doing a very rapid turn back towards the others. A simple attempt to escape had been somewhat complicated, and she didn't quite know how so. Still, her instincts as a superhero dictated that someone probably needed rescuing, and though some of those individuals were metahumans, not all of them were, and some of them only had shelter from the trees. Two rather bewildered-looking noble individuals were, for instance, stumbling and running as fast as they could through the trees. She hadn't got their names earlier, but she had managed to glean that though they looked basically human, they weren't entirely so.

Possibly human-looking aliens, like the Khin races, some sort of hybrid, or a variant form of metahuman mutant which was only capable of something extremely subtle and therefore absolutely useless in a direct fight. It was hard to tell at any distance farther than a few metres, however, given her poor eyesight. She was adjusting better than she'd expected to, but things were still far too blurry for her to judge things properly. She managed to make a quick landing just in front of them, kicking up dirt and mud as she hit the ground, feet first and covering herself even more. She also realised that her need to acquire some clothing, seeing as how the flight through the woods had begun tearing holes into tight pyjamas, had somewhat increased. Though whatever was laid bare was covered almost entirely by mud.

'Hello there,' she said, trying not to giggle at the ridiculousness of herself as she landed in front of Adam and Leila. 'Ye both look like ye could use a wee bit ae help getting oout ae here...'
Last edited by Dakarne on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'For the moment, mortal, they find the thought of killing me more desirable than that of killing you.'
'And what are their chances?'
'The answer to that is evident in how long they've been hesitating, wouldn't you think, mortal?'

-Anomander Rake and Ganoes Paran in Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Tank Theft Baylor

"Come on!" Alexis shouted back irritably as she dragged Baylor by the collar. He still hadn't gotten off his ass and his ass was still digging a trench through the mud. "Get off your ass! On your feet, soldier!"

Meanwhile, as he was being hauled, Baylor cupped his hands around his eyes and continued using his invisible-binoculars. Things were, needless to say, making for very interesting sight-seeing. The kids had acquired a tank, taking the driver hostage and forcing him to drive 'em over towards them. Meanwhile, Power Armor Frenchie Chick, Gabrielle, was teaming up with General Grievous and they were running into the enemy lines to find Fantasmic Jack and the runaway robot. Starr had a good point, there was no way they could let Teagle get any of 'em. No way in hell.

There was a reason why they of all people had been ripped from the fabric of reality - multiple realities - and flung halfway across the Omniverse to this particular little planet in this particular 'verse. John realized that he should've known that, known better and that he should've been quicker on the uptake.

Damn, I'm getting slow.

The last most recentest time this had happened was when a pan-galactic cataclysm in another universe (which that Lennart guy had called The Logical World) decapitated a godling, that was when various people - Baylor included - had been spontaneously translocated to another universe. That cast and crew were pretty much very similar in composition to this one... they too had cybernetic organisms capable of ruining much shit. The previous other times something like this had happened weren't really spontaneous events, though. Those times usually involved John Goddamn West pulling Baylor out for another one of those goddamn adventures. The first time was when West hauled him to some transdimensional Temple of Doom, and the other time was when West sprung him from the Bragule Hilton. That last time West screwed with him ended up with that time's Merry Band getting chased by a goddamn planetoid named Yoric, halfway across the multiverse.

Fun times.

So, basically, it stood to reason that again they were on the verge of yet another cataclysm in another universe - or in all universes - and that was not good...

Baylor shot up so quick that he almost unbalanced Starr.

"Well, finally," Starr spat exasperatedly. "I was thinking that you weren't just like John Baylor, and I was right. You're even worse."

"Original's always the best, ma'am." Baylor quipped, while also being polite to a superior ranking officer. "Now, let's hop on board."

As if on cue, the M1A9 Abrams had arrived. Without the considerable weight of its turret, the battle tank moved waaay faster than the other tanks in Teague's force that still had their turrets. On the driver's hatch, sticking his head out, was a very unhappy looking tank driver. On where the turret had been was now a big hole and sticking out of it were the two kids, and the quail. The boy said something and the tank driver looked back at him, half-cringing in fear, and pulled the tank over to a halt.

"Awesome, great job kids!" Baylor clapped his hands and ran towards the Abrams. "Good thinking, we'll need the wheels. Or the treads. Whatever."

The boy said something, maybe not too pleased with being patronized as a 'kid', but Baylor wasn't paying him any attention now as he clambered up the Abrams and stood over the driver's hatch.

"Hey, what's your name, soldier?" Baylor asked the tanker.

"Umm... uhhh..." the tanker stuttered, wavering between giving his name, rank and serial number and only that because he was now a captive, and -

"Whatever," Baylor yanked him by his collar with a single post-arm and with a careless post-toss, he tossed the driver away into the mud. "I'll take the wheel."

"What are you doing?" the boy asked him curiously, wondering why he had thrown their POW away.

"Getting rid of excess baggage, he'll be a bad driver and slow us down. It'll be better if our driver is someone who doesn't follow this Teagle guy's orders and who won't deliberately drive us into a trap, or over a landmine, or into a bottomless cliff." Baylor replied as he wormed himself into the driver's compartment. It was uncomfortable and rather too small for his slightly fatter postman frame, but he still managed. "Now... let's see."

Arrayed before him was a cacophony of buttons, switches, levers, clutches, wheels, joysticks and speedometers and displays in LCD, LED, CRT, and so on with digital and analogue and betamax interfaces. It was all rather ancient nigh-fossilized dinosaur stuff, but the basics were all there and it was arrayed rather ergonomically.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" the boy asked from above.

"Eh, sure. Easy peasy," Baylor replied as he began fiddling with the various thinggies. "I mean, aside from posttanks having silencers on their cannons, their drivers also have to drive them through atmospheric reentry and stuff, so I think this not-post-tank will actually be easier to drive. Hrm, stick shift. Oooh, what does this button do?"

Baylor stomped on the accelerator and with a massive roar, the tank lurched for- backwards! Backwards towards the enemy, and they were coming even closer now.

"Oh shit!" Baylor put his foot off and cranked one of the clutches, and then tried it again. This time, the tank moved forward. "Good, good. Kids, get everyone who can't run faster than a speeding bullet on this tank now! We're blowing this joint!"

Baylor himself popped his upper torso out of the hatch and got a breath of fresh air, savoring it before having to duck into the thing's cramped interiors again. He had driven the thing even closer to the group and he waved his arms at Tiffany and Alexis.

"Hey, you guys, Lieutenant Colonel, Gingerhead, come on! Get on board! You too, Rivers! And you, Captain Anime and Enya! Come on! Emily Strange, get those two yahoos here pronto! Come on! Go-go-go-go-go! Now!"

The group clambered atop the massive decapitated tank. Tiffany Jones, still rather wet and looking like she had come out of a mud wrestling fight, and her other redhead compatriot the flying firecrotch Emily whose clothes were pretty much torn up in all the nearly-perfect places and a few more rips in the right places...

"You pig," Eric Rivers uttered, looking severely at Baylor as he climbed aboard and helped the others too.

"Oh go punch someone else's ovaries," Baylor quipped back. "Yeah, that's right. Come on, everyone on board?"

"Yeah, pretty much. We're still missing four, but I assume the robot dinosaur and the power armored lady can take care of themselves?" Tiffany Jones answered.

"Let's hope they can, 'cause there's nothing we can do for them unless a bunch of you can take on tanks and helos and heavy artillery and win without ending up like Fantasmo Jacko. We're GTFOeing, stat!"

Baylor worked the clutch and revved his engines, and then -

The radio came to life.

"Huh?" Baylor turned to look at the primordial communications apparatus. "A radio?"

".... Commander Russell Leman, I demand a situation update! Why has your tank deviated from its course? You are irrevocably damaged, halt your advance before another one of those goddamn fucking-fucker-fucks kills the living fuck out of you! RTB immediately! And respond, goddamn it!"

"Umm..." Baylor picked up the receiver and spoke: "Hello?"

"Who the fuck is this? I demand to know who is this? This doesn't sound like the driver... oh shit... motherfucker! You've commandeered the tank, haven't you, you little bitch? You think you can steal a goddamn Abrams from Uncle Sam, huh? Do ya? Why I ought to-"

"Hey!" Baylor snapped back. "Jesus Titty-fucking Christ, what the hell?!"

"You blasphemous piece of shit! Taking the Sweet Lord's name in vain- "

"What?" Baylor cut him off.

"Huh?!"

"Whatever." Baylor responded. "If you're with this Teagle guy, you can tell him that he and his Nightslutters can go shove a Pluto-class planetoid up their asses. You bunch of shitcocks."

"Why you whore! You goddamn whore! Whore! Whore! Whore!"

"With cunts for goddamn eyes!" Baylor shouted back at the radio, spittle flying from his mouth, and then he laughed. "Whores! Whores! Whores!"

"That's it! I demand to know who this is! Who the flying fuck are you people? Who the fuck are you, you miserable sacks of shit! Tell me so I can fuck you in the mouth with my considerably-sized cock! Who are you? Who?!"

"Your Mom." Baylor replied, and then he stomped the tank's accelerator and the turret-less M1A9 Abrams roared through the wartorn park.
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.