[General]The Return of CHARACTER CONCEPTS

Moderators: Shroom Man 777, Ford Prefect

speaker-to-trolls

Re: [General]The Return of CHARACTER CONCEPTS

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Could work. I personally am wary of having too many space tyrant villains because it starts to make the universe look very small if all the space tyrants are concentrating on little old Earth. But then Earth is already marked out as important by Mogar, figurehead of a galactic superpower, Damask the Destroyer, master of a paralell dimension and the Empress of the Andromeda Infinite Imperium, so I'm probably in the minority here.

I think this guy would serve well as a kind of antihero. Sometimes trying to conquer Earth and sometimes being helpful or neutral. An unpredictable and worrying but charming figure, someone you can't help but like even though he is, when you get right down to it, a despicable despot.

One thing about his plans that you might want to consider: If he fought Archwind, and was presumably defeated by him, and he wants to conquer the Earth, then how does he react to the knowledge that Mogar the Mighty also regularly visits Earth and has his own vendetta against Patrick? Mogar's Empire is, after all, a much bigger fish than his own.

EDIT: A couple of nitpicks. First I'm not mad about the name 'Belisarion', but that's mainly because you've used it so frequently elsewhere. I'd call him something else that's evocative of power, or have it explained that he learned Greek on the way to Earth and liked the name, so thinks that Earthlings should call him that.

Second, this sentence bugs me
He also has a strong sense of honour, although he can rationalise the use of his more underhanded plans relatively easily.
If this is the case, what is the point of his sense of honour?
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:
I think this guy would serve well as a kind of antihero. Sometimes trying to conquer Earth and sometimes being helpful or neutral. An unpredictable and worrying but charming figure, someone you can't help but like even though he is, when you get right down to it, a despicable despot.
That's kinda what I was getting at.
One thing about his plans that you might want to consider: If he fought Archwind, and was presumably defeated by him, and he wants to conquer the Earth, then how does he react to the knowledge that Mogar the Mighty also regularly visits Earth and has his own vendetta against Patrick? Mogar's Empire is, after all, a much bigger fish than his own.
He keeps quiet; he, after all, doesn't want Mogar to come calling. That, and he takes full advantage of the disputed status of the Orion Arm,.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Somewhat bare-bones, needs a bit more meat. I just hope this isn't offensive...

Germania

Origins:

The entity that is described as Germania is old, as old as the idea of the German nation. It is powerless however, without a host, without a way to influence the material world. After WW2, it raged in agony, trapped in a host filled with despair, its nation torn in two where it had been united. However, these two things ended one certain day in 1989. The Berlin Wall fell, and a year later, so did East Germany. As soon he heard of these things Siegfried Sternberg, host of the Germania entity, died peacefully. He had cast aside the role of personification of the German nation at the end of World War 2, filled with shame, refusing to use his powers, ageing naturally as he filled himself with despair.

Then, the Germania entity searched through Sternberg's bloodline for a host. It found one in Theresa Sternberg, a 20 year old journalist who was working in Africa at the time, dealing with the forces of a vicious militia, whose leader was under an international arrest warrant. That day, the militia's leader was captured and flung into the courts.

Germania continued to fight throughout the 1990's, particularly aiding German forces (along with NATO troops) to stop a genocide in the Balkans conducted by a rogue post-Communist state with ties to Paul Von Austerlitz. During that period, she first duelled with Austerlitz' nefarious Shadow Legion. At first, she hid her identity under a helmet, however in 2001 she unmasked.

She was present during the Berlin Hand Basket Crisis, dealing with rioters and maniacal cultists as well as saving many innocent lives, later using her superstrength to help in the rebuilding of large parts of Berlin. Now, in 2010, she has recently married, although she remains active.

Powers, Abilities and so forth:

Germania has superdurability (enough to survive a Hiroshima-level explosion, albiet with severe injuries), superstrength (enough to throw a tank away, or cause a skyscraper to collapse with a punch) and flight. She can also strike enemies with rays of energy projected from her eyes. When actively fighting, she typically wears bulletproof Mediaeval plate armour sans helmet, carrying a bulletproof yellow Mediaeval-style shield emblazoned with the double-headed eagle of the Holy Roman Empire and a longsword that can cut through any material. When in extremely dangerous situations, she can let the entity within her take complete control, which increases her power but makes her lose control of her actions.

Appearance and Personality

Germania is usually compassionate, but the entity that has melded with her has a ruthless streak, which shows. She is blonde-haired and blue-eyed, and has a somewhat higher IQ than ordinary people. She's approximately 6'5" tall.

Weaknesses

Germania prefers to hold back and kills only extremely rarely, which allows her enemies to come back for more. Also, certain ignorant groups see her as a Neo-Nazi figure, which she personally hates but dampens her popularity somewhat outside Germany.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

God no. Please no.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:God no. Please no.
What is it, precisely? If it's offensive I'll remove - simple as that.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

This post in the Mad Ideas thread are my thoughts on the matter.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
speaker-to-trolls

I like the idea of her being a journalist, I think that actually lends itself to her being a different kind of national hero than the kind we've got already. Consider, General Winter serves Russia unwaveringly beause it's his homeland, whoever is in charge, the American Crusader serves American Values because he was empowered while blindly and suicidally trying to kill its enemies, and Major Britannic is a symbol for Britain because he's, frankly, an old man with old fashioned British values. Not to put too fine a point on it, these guys are all kind of blind in their patriotism, I think someone who actually investigates her country and others and whose job it is to understand and explain these things would make a nice contrast.

I don't particularly like the name or the origin story, though. I like the idea of her being connected to a guy whose mind and soul were split by the Berlin Wall being put up, but I think that the way you've got it working is a bit crude and, to be honest, it's a bit weird that you've got the Power Germanic needing to work through bloodlines if it really is just the expression of Germany as an idea. I think you should work on the mechanism and backstory a bit and, as I've said before, I'd make the idea that she embodies Germany a bit less literal and more metaphorical, if you need to keep it at all.
"Little monuments may be completed by their first architects, but great ones; true ones leave their copestones to posterity. God keep me from completing anything."
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I miss the days when heroes were actually motivated first and foremost by the need to do heroics deeds in service of members of their community. Besides, to call that a "character" would bestretching the meaning of the word.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Re: (MOAR) Mad Ideas!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

All I want to do is give Germany a superhero other than a bouncy guy in lederhosen, one that's actually serious, because Germany is under-represented in anything other than supervillains.
I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure how she or her origin story embody the ideals of Germany, whatever they are (ruthless efficiency, presumably ;) )
:P

I should be working on mein SSS or SDNW4, but I'm gonna do this since it's been a loooong while since I did anything related to Comix and I'm feeling impulsive, so pardon me if I am a little rusty.

Der Autobahnluftkapitan

Origins:
In Germany, there is one name synonymous with the ruthlessly efficient enforcement of law - Der Autobahnluftkapitan. He is cold and stern, with a steely gaze and a mailed fist that delivers German justice to the face of criminals and supervillains alike, and patrols the lanes of the autobahns of Germany implacably in his EWR VJ 101 jumpjet. The mere shadow of his aircraft is enough to make wrongdoers abandon their wrongdoings, and if not, then the Autobahnluftkapitan is more than ready to swoop down from the sky and dissuade them at the point of his gun.

But before there was Der Autobahnluftkapitan, there was Captain Hans Vogler of the GSG 9 der Bundespolizei. The Grenzschutzgruppe 9 is an elite counter-terrorism and special operations unit of the German Federal Police, and Hans was among their select number, partaking in many classified operations to safeguard Germany from the acts of terrorists, hostage-takers and extortionists. In the turbulent years immediately after reunification, Germany was rife with discord as left-wing terror-organizations and paramilitaries made their last stands against the government, while less-mundane groups likewise sought to take advantage of the nation's precarious position - namely rogue elements of the former Stasi, and even worse, Paul von Austerlitz' resurgent Shadow Legion.

It was in 1993, when the GSG9 was still authorized to carry out special operations, that Captain Hans Vogler and the operators under him were participating an undercover mission outside Germany. They were tracking down members of the leftist terror group Rote Armee Fraktion when their investigation brought them into the corporate micronation of Galude. While this was normally outside the jurisdiction of German police, Captain Vogler decided to press on, for to him borders were irrelevant in the pursuit of justice, and his main priority was to ensure that these terrorists were made to answer to German law. His undercover investigation bore fruit, revealing hints of a disturbing conspiracy between not only the RAF and former members of the Stasi who had gone to ground, but also that of outside supporters for their revanchist cause. These ominous findings seemed less important at that moment, though, compared to more the more immediate intentions of the terrorists they had tracked. Their plan was to take Baron Engel von Emmerich, the leader and CEO of the corporate micronation of Galude, hostage and demand not only the release of imprisoned RAF members, but also the cessation of the privatization of the East German state economy (in which the Baron had a rather prominent role).

In that moment, Vogler hesitated, his steely resolve to stop crime in all its forms conflicting with the ingrained need to follow proper police procedure. In the end, he relented to protocol and contacted the local authorities of Galude, but they were slow to react, more like corporate security guards than proper police - blundering and inefficient. The result was a shootout between the Galudian authorities and the urban guerrillas, the death of several people including an undercover GSG9 operative, and Baron Emmerich being taken hostage on board his personal airship, the Galude Whim. As the terrorists made their way up into the stratosphere and broadcasted their demands to the public at large, Vogler was left with his meticulously crafted operation in ruins. He would have had to explain everything to not only his own superiors, but to Galudian corporate security as well. But there, he realized that it was his strict adherence to protocol that led to the situation in the first place, blindly following the book and leaving matters to the hands of those who were inefficient to carry out true justice. He left Galude, without explaining anything to their corporate security for it was they who were at fault for their incompetence. This time, matters would be left to more efficient hands. His.

The hijacked Galude Whim entered German airspace. While the local and federal police were deciding on whether or not the hostage crisis fell into the jurisdiction of the individual state whose airspace the airship was in, and while the government was busy communicating with their Galudian corporate counterparts - who were more more familiar with their stock portfolios than actual crisis situation management - it was a decision from the very top, from Bundeskanzler Helmut Kohl himself, that authorized the deployment of the GSG9 to resolve the situation. With that, Captain Hans Vogler commandeered a Luftwaffe EWR VJ 101 jumpjet and took to the skies. There, he would act with the swift and steely fury of Deutschland's law incarnate and bring justice to those who would dare fly above Germany in blimps to tauntingly defy its authority.

The terrorists looked down and proclaimed that there was nothing anyone could do to stop them. Vogler looked up and whispered, "Nein."

Meanwhile, aboard the Galude Whim, Baron Engel von Emmerich had other plans rather than to play the helpless hostage. His kidnappers had made the mistake of thinking he was a harmless old man, nothing more than a pencil-necked banker, and while this was true, Von Emmerich took it upon himself to inform them that he was also an avid and accomplished swordfighter - by pulling out his cane sword and disarming the terrorist guarding him. A scuffle ensued, and using his superior knowledge of the zeppelin's layout - the zeppelin he himself designed - he attempted to make his escape by making for the Galude Whim's parasite bi-plane, but the terrorists preempted him and he was forced to flee to the open top of the zeppelin. They cornered him and he backed away hesitantly, nearing the very edge of the zeppelin more and more.

It was then that Captain Vogler arrived on his jumpjet. He was more than pleased to see that the hostage had spared him the trouble of having to jump off the jumpjet and storm the zeppelin himself, so he pulled open his canopy and shouted for Von Emmerich to jump. Emmerich did, and landed safely on the back of the jumpjet. The terrorist's leader, the ruthless Wolfgang Grams, did not hesitate to jump after Emmerich as well, and several of his followers did so too. Wolfgang landed on the jumpet, but the others missed and fell to their deaths. The terrorists who were still on the zeppelin also attempted to shoot down Vogler's jumpjet by firing their weapons out of the windows. Vogler returned fire with his fighter's cannons, ending most of the terrorists and ripping new holes into the zeppelin. Incensed by the demise of his revolutionary brethren, his kameraden, Wolfgang Grams attempted to attack Vogler, all while Baron von Emmerich desperately held on the plane for dear life. Vogler tried to shake Wolfgang off, but the terrorist proved to be a sticky case and either way Vogler couldn't remove Wolfgang without also likewise causing Emmerich to fall off the plane. Meanwhile, the ventilated zeppelin began to leak gas and descend, the surviving terrorists boarded the Galude Whim's parasite biplane, the very same craft the Baron had tried to escape on. They made their escape, and as they flew away on their biplane, they saw their revolutionary leader struggling on the Luftwaffe jumpjet - that symbol of fascist imperialism - and decided to make their final attack.

So it was, with a desperately clinging Baron and an attacking Wolfgang Grams, did Captain Vogler maneuver his plane to engage the terrorist aircraft in a dogfight for the ages - him, on his VTOL-capable F-104 Starfighter; them, on their propeller-driven biplane. The sun was behind Vogler, he had the advantage. Too close for missiles, he engaged the terrorist biplane with cannons, but though slow the craft proved very maneuverable and Vogler's jumpjet was too fast and perpetually on the verge of overtaking them. They weaved through the clouds, their contrails drawing dizzying circles around in a crazy waltz, until Vogler finally broke off, having expended his cannon rounds. He went and established some distance - so that he could use his missiles instead. In that moment, an unsteady Wolfgang Grams clambered atop the jumpjet's canopy and opened fire with his sidearm. Vogler activated the explosive bolts on the canopy, blasting it off the plane to try and throw Wolfgang off - but it merely unbalanced the terrorist. But before he could resume his attack at a now-exposed Vogler, Baron von Emmerich blinded him by using his monocle to reflect sunlight, causing Wolfgang to slip - but instead of falling off to his demise, the terrorist merely rolled off a wing and got snagged on a JDAMRAAM missile.

The jumpjet's fire control radar locked on to the encircling biplane, Vogler had tone. He looked down at the hanging Wolfgang Grams and smirked knowingly at him. In the rushing wind, he said, "Du bist gefeuert!" and launched the terrorist to his comrades in an express delivery by JDAMRAAM. Both the terrorist leader on the missile and his terrorist followers on the biplane screamed, and then they stopped screaming and exploded.

Captain Vogler landed his jumpjet and helped a still-quivering Baron down to terra firma, while at the same time the now-deflated Galude Whim softly crash landed somewhere in the countryside. They were accosted by a whole mob of journalists, as TV helicopters had caught the action and transmitted it live for the whole world to see. In that moment, upon the whole of Germany seeing Captain Vogler exact uncompromising German justice on his silvery jumpjet, that Der Autobahnluftkapitan was born.

Current Status:
Alive. The live coverage of the hostage crisis and its explosive resolution immortalized Vogler in the German consciousness. In a time of uncertainty and turmoil, the GSG9 captain's swift actions in dealing with the terrorists brought the German people something they had long needed: a symbol of hope, a reassurance that justice was there and that the rule of law was still being enforced by something more than just a faceless, abstract system, but by something solid and concrete - like Captain Vogler's fist. He became the hero Germany needed, a personification of the efficiency of the police and the GSG9.

Ironically, the fact that Captain Vogler's identity has become public - not to mention his blatant violation of police protocol, the hundreds of regulations defied just in his resolution of the hostage situation, the jurisdictional infringements, the excessive use of force, the problems raised with operating in foreign territory, the commandeering of military aircraft and the destruction of foreign property, and the fact that he had gone ahead and did what he did when the GSG9 was already assembling an authorized heliborne tac-squad to deal with the terrorists, just to name a few - has led to his 'retirement' from the GSG9. Since 1994, the GSG9 was also no longer allowed to take part in Special ops.

Despite having his police chief chewed his butt off and demand his gun and his badge, Captain Vogler somehow managed to keep his jumpjet. He received personal awards from Baron Engel von Emmerich himself, as well as other high-ranking politicians in Galude as well as Germany. For a while, public debate raged on, arguing whether or not Vogler's heroic actions were right or if they were unduly harsh and reminiscent of the oppressive methods of older, sordid times - but in the end, public support far outweighed any disapproval of his methods.

Eventually, he was reinstated to his rank of captain but transfered to the Bundeskriminalamt, the Federal Criminal Police Office, where to this day he continues to enforce the law - but no longer as a special operative, although he still possesses all his old training and skills as a GSG9 operator plus a shiny old jumpjet, but as a detective investigating federal cases related to international organized crime, terrorism, cases of special interests, and in cases where the Bundeskriminalamt's presence is requested by the respective federal state authorities.

As ever, his will to enforce the edicts of German law is as strong as ever, as is his sense of justice. Now, outside the bounds of the secretive GSG9 and in view of the public, he continues his work, and though in the public eye he is seen as some kind of superhero, he remains in his heart a police officer humbly serving Germany and its people in the way he knows best - by ruinating wrongdoers and villains alike, and making sure that crime does not pay ever. He is Captain Hans Vogler, Der Autobahnluftkapitan.

Powers and abilities:
Captain Vogler is a baseline human in prime physical condition. Moreover, he is a former GSG9 operative and was trained by the best of the best in the usage of special weapons and tactics, and possesses a not inconsiderable amount of experience from his time in the organization, having partaken in an undisclosed number of clandestine missions prior to GSG9 being disallowed from special operations. In terms of crimefighting abilities, his current work with the Bundeskriminalamt has endowed him with years of experience as a federal investigator and detective, working with not only law-enforcement agencies and agents in Germany proper, but also with international agencies and agents through Interpol.

Aside from this, Vogler has also become quite an astute pilot and is a regular competitor at the International Bridge Limbo Tournament. He has also extensive martial arts training, and has recently gone to Hawaii, to the dojo-hangars of the Smackdown Squadron, where he has developed the Messerschmitt Me 262 "Schwalbe" - a technique that emphasizes the speed of movements and the power of attacks to defeat the enemy.

On duty Vogler wears a Saintly Concerns Light Blue light armored muscle suit, a variant similar to that being used in the Bundeswehr's Infanterist der Zukunft system and in the GSG9 as well. His preferred weapons are the G-11 caseless assault rifle and the MP-7 personal defense weapon. His preferred mode of transportation is, of course, his EWR VJ 101 jumpjet - a 1970s-era Luftwaffe variant of the F-104G Starfighter capable of Mach 2 flight and vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL). His aircraft is the only example still flying, as the Luftwaffe had retired its fleet in the 1990s. It is armed with missiles and a cannon, and its systems were last modernized in the late 1980s. Nevertheless, it is his trusty vehicle and to the public it has become associated with Der Autobahnluftkapitan.

Weaknesses:
Being a baseline, Captain Vogler is a mere mortal man without any truly special or extraordinary abilities. He also tends to be intolerant of what he perceives as inefficiency in others, or inefficiency in protocol and procedure. As in the Galude hostage incident, he seldom hesitates to go around protocol and procedures to get the job done in what he sees to be the most efficient manner, even if it involves varying degrees of violence.

Relations:
Captain Vogler is an investigator of the Bundeskriminalamt and also works with Interpol from time to time, and as such has contacts throughout German law enforcement as well as some allies in other neighboring European agencies. He also maintains his connections with the GSG9, though he did not part with his superiors in the best of terms, he is still considered as a good cop by his former co-workers. Those who aren't as familiar with his methods tend to regard him as a maverick renegade loose cannon cop, and they may be right, but Vogler has never failed to deliver results and his commitment to German justice and the rule of law is unquestionable.

Outside the thick blue line, over his career as an officer of the law, Vogler has made many friends and enemies in the years since Galude. He has Baron Engel von Emmerich's gratitude, and the leader of Galude has often offered to replace his EWR VJ 101 jumpjet with a superior aircraft, such as the X-32s used by his company. So far, Vogler hasn't taken him up on it, and despite having saved Von Emmerich, he has become suspicious of the Baron's other nebulous business dealings. Like every other German police officer, Vogler was also involved in the Berlin Hand Basket incident, and later he took part in investigating a number of suspected Technotheocratic front-companies operating in Europe. He has also been acquainted with the Danish teen adventurers Louise Exner and Karl Popper, having once assisted them in breaking an illegal organ trafficking ring operating in a remote hospital at the German border, and in another occasion encountering them and the EUFIXIT (European Union Force for the Intervention of Extraterrestrial Intergalactic Threats) in an incident involving an extraterrestrial robot automobile and a miniature alien invasion. Vogler has worked with Uder Bernhoffer - the Lederhosenman - in a number of cases, in particular the arrest of Meister Meatmensch, a supervillain who used necromancy to reanimate meat products in an attempt to conquer a countryside town in Bavaria. It was also through Vogler's contacts that the Lederhosenman was furnished his Lederhosenwagen.

In terms of rivals and enemies, Vogler has had to deal with quite a few unsavory characters. Baron Engel von Emmerich's partners in the EVIL Corporation have repeatedly gotten themselves on the wrong side of German law, which means they have repeatedly gotten themselves on the wrong side of Vogler. Another similar character is the Russian billionaire defense contractor Maks Mikoyan, the notorious MiG Man, who was briefly implicated in an international arms smuggling ring ranging from Russia and Eastern Europe, to as far away as Skyhaven. Vogler was part of the Interpol investigation team, and eventually Mikoyan was absolved of suspicion when the ring turned out to have been masterminded by former elements of the Stasi gone rogue working with an organization called Crimson Dawn. In the end, Vogler was forced to team up with Mikoyan to fend off communist-counterfeit MiG Men in a dogfight over Wild Manchuria. After this incident, a drunken Mikoyan claimed to be Vogler's ally and offered his assistance to Interpol, but Vogler wasn't one to tolerate his kind, no matter how many times the power armored billionaire tried to buzz his jumpjet or show him up.

Aside from this, on a frequent basis Vogler has to contend with everything from Paul von Austerlitz' menacing Shadow Legion and their myriad schemes at world domination, to grinning Germano-Austro-Prussian madmen repeatedly seeking to reforge Germany and Austria into their new empires to also dominate the world again and again and again, to literal illegal aliens from outer space who can inexplicably speak fluent German and end up getting sent to neutral Switzerland for political asylum reasons, and so on. Sometimes, dealing with more mundane cases can be a welcomed respite, such as organized crime syndicates involving misplaced Mongolian biker gangs prowling the autobahn - which gives Vogler a refreshing chance to just don his jumpsuit, throttle the engines of his jet, and go fly over to the autobahn to smash some skulls.

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

excellent work shroomz, This man is like captain america! only an efficient GERMAN Captain American

Autobahn! Fuck yeah!
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
speaker-to-trolls

Nice work, and Kamin, take notes.

You see, this character of Shroom's is largely made up of whacky adventures, cool media tropes (loltropes, he is a badass normal determinator) and stereotypes. BUT, what makes him more than the sum of his parts? It's the way that Shroom uses all these elements to make a coherent character with an entertaining story and an individual flavour. You can tell, reading this story, what kind of mensch Herr Kapitan Vogler is, and you (well, I at least) can be entertained and laugh and grin at the story of his adventures and how he became a Hero of Germany.

So this guy is not a particularly original character, (hey, mine probably aren't either when you get right down to it) but he is an individual. Am I making any sense? What I'm trying to get at is that a certain amount of cliche is ok, especially in comic style characters, a certain amount of derivativeness, even, but your character has to be their own person with their own background and their own style.

I like this guy, anyway, I think he'd be a nice addition for the purposes of high octane AKSHUN stories and things involving police and terrorists and the like, tooling around Europe investigating Technotheocrats, corrupt nobility, communist terrorists, Nemesis cells and organised crime. Hah, imagine him meeting Vivian St-Blancat, the irresistable force of her slippery, seductive French sophistication meeting the immovable object of Herr Vogler's German efficiency and justice :D
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Danke Herr Trollhammeren.

Ja.

Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

:D

Is this guy going to be canonized? Because you had me at the EWR VJ 101 jumpjet (and the blatant True Lies references).
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Malchus wrote::D

Is this guy going to be canonized? Because you had me at the EWR VJ 101 jumpjet (and the blatant True Lies references).
MALACHUSCHUS! I MISSEDS YOUS!!!! *GLOMPS* ^_____________________^

So far, the reaction has been positive, so I guess it's a yes. I can't believe I forgot referencing Ninja Assassin and how GSG9 commandos ruined shinobi shit. But oh well, I still got True Lies. :P

Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Malchus wrote::D

MALACHUSCHUS! I MISSEDS YOUS!!!! *GLOMPS* ^_____________________^

So far, the reaction has been positive, so I guess it's a yes. I can't believe I forgot referencing Ninja Assassin and how GSG9 commandos ruined shinobi shit. But oh well, I still got True Lies. :P
I am tireds of studiesing myself to exhaustion. For the duration of the Christmas break I refuse to pick up my academics.

And do not worries, there are loads of other ways we could get Germanians to ruin shinobi shit. Maybe it happened after Vogler got given to boots. He would burn with envy at the missed opportunity.
I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
speaker-to-trolls

OK so I have an idea for a character, still not much on him yet and he is designed to be connected to Moses Knight, who I still haven't officialised yet, as a kind of chief henchman or 'Dragon' to use the loltropes term. My idea is for him to be one of the world's most feared mercenaries, and his description to be based around the phrase 'ex army, ex superhero' which could be used while describing him. Basically he used to be a British superhero named HMS, who fought crime with amazing psychic powers and a stiff upper lip, but something happened which made him disillusioned with that and become a soldier of fortune. The thing is I'm not sure what that something could be, the idea that springs to mind is him leading a team of teenage superheroes to their deaths against the Shadow Legion (the Thunderchildren, who would definitely not be a transparent copy of the Teen TItans with a British 1960s motif, obviously...). The thing is, while this might well make him disillusioned with superheroics and distrustful of the British government and RACKET (who may or may not have thrown his team into a meatgrinder unnescessarily), I'm not sure that it would make him want to go into a profession with even more needless, thoughtless violence. Any thoughts?
Magister Militum

Post by Magister Militum »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:The thing is I'm not sure what that something could be, the idea that springs to mind is him leading a team of teenage superheroes to their deaths against the Shadow Legion (the Thunderchildren, who would definitely not be a transparent copy of the Teen TItans with a British 1960s motif, obviously...). The thing is, while this might well make him disillusioned with superheroics and distrustful of the British government and RACKET (who may or may not have thrown his team into a meatgrinder unnecessarily), I'm not sure that it would make him want to go into a profession with even more needless, thoughtless violence. Any thoughts?
Maybe it was a deep sense of resentment toward traditional authority after the bloodbath, rather than the excessive violence? He could easily blame the British government for sending a group of teenagers to their death, especially if they were way over their head. If he's pretty much cut off from any traditional support, I could see him taking on mercenary work in desperation to make some sort of living. He doesn't even need to be desperate. His sense of morality compromised by the experience (guilt from leading those kids to their death and being the only survivor) and becoming a general pessimist, he takes a few jobs to support himself or maybe try to help someone. Eventually, he does it enough times to not even be phased by the killing or the bleakness of it all. At least, that's my idea.
Democratic Socialist | Atheist | Transhumanist | Bright Green Environmentalist | Worldbuilder | IT Professional |

Germania your game is through, now you're gonna answer to... The Freestates! Fuck Yeah! Now lick my balls and suck on my cock! Freestates, Fuck Yeah! Coming in to save the motherfuckin' day! Rock and roll, fuck yeah! Television, fuck yeah! DVDs, fuck yeah! Militums, fuck yeah! - Shroomy
speaker-to-trolls

Distrust of traditional authority would definitely be a factor. He might not technically be cut off from all means of support but fighting would be what he was best at, and it would be the way to go about getting some money, especially if he has anyone else he is trying to support.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

I confess I thought about the guilt factor a bit more. Maybe after he led the Thunder Children to their deaths, he became afraid to get anyone else killed and becoming a freelance contractor was what he felt was the best way to avoid association with people while maintaining his old lifestyle. (and he might stick to his old lifestyle of PUNCHING THINGS WITH HIS MIND because of the stiff upper lip thing, or maybe because it's his way of keeping himself together, or keep fighting the good fight in the memory of the dead children, or something. Devastating things, promises to dead people.) The guilt would also compel him to do all of other people's dirty work so other people don't have to, and if the op goes south it's only him who will die for it (and he doesn't deserve to live anyway).

Of course, some of the people who have dirty work for him to do would be the bad guys. Does he drink?

Also, it seems to me that Moses Knight operates independently of EVIL Inc., so this character wouldn't belong to whichever personnel department who hires out the EVIL Arch-Henchmen on retainer. Is he still a mercenary?
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe all his ideals and shit just got shattered, and he did a polar 180, cast aside his old morals, decided that nothing mattered anymore, and from a shining knight he turned into a cynical for-hire Comedian who thinks its all a joke?

After all, if he lost his team due to political bullshittery, then he might think that it's all a load of crock, serving the country and doing the "right thing" was all bollocks, and if countries and governments can be self-serving amoral pricks then he can be too. He might end up joining Knight and/or EVIL because unlike the governments/countries, the corporation has no self-righteous illusions of morality and is at least honestly amoral.

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

He doesn't have to be a Blackwater/Executive Outcomes style mercenary, you know. He could be a Michael Westen/A-Team type of guy: operating outside the law. "If nobody else can help, and if you can find him..." helping out the little guy with an unhealthy distrust of authority, knight in tarnished armour, well, I'm sure you get the picture.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Just a magical terrorist dark wizard character.

Andrei Orlov

Origins:

Andrei Orlov always had a talent for sorcery. He was a virtual prodigy in it, and was recruited into the Winter Corps in the 1980's, at the age of twenty-three, uncommonly young. It was there that he learned the basic principles of Soviet Socialist Sorcery. However, he felt that his learning was going too slow, he lusted for more power, and thus, he fell into the trap of dark magic. Learning Soviet Socialist Sorcery by day, he studied and practiced with the confiscated, forbidden tomes by night, keeping up the facade for five years before he was discovered. By then he was a practical master of both forms of magic, and in an epic battle managed to hold off the entire Winter Corps for three hours before disappearing in a flash of dark energy, creating an explosion that severely damaged their headquarters.

It emerged that he was in Sub-Saharan Africa, learning their shamans' dark powers from those that were willing to teach and forming the terrorist organisation that would become the Shadow Conclave. He took in those that had problems with society, those that hated the current order and had some degree of mystic power, from Neo-Nazis to Anarchists and psycho-Environmentalists. He formed them into his Shadow Conclave, his terrorist group.

Their first major strike was at Dresden, Germany in 1999, when they raised an army of undead Schutzstaffel in the town centre, killing thousands of innocent civilians. Then in 2001 they demonstrated their use of technology and magic combined by unleashing a semi-sentient computer virus that caused a major financial crash, managing to infect millions of computers as well.

They were quiet from 2002 through 2008, but in 2009 a series of major bombings took place throughout Western Europe and the US, killing hundreds and injuring many more. Investigations concluded that the bombs had been teleported into position seconds before detonation, far too late for any non-Metahuman to intervene. The Shadow Conclave claimed responsibility.

A worldwide manhunt began for the group's members, but only a few of little consequence were captured. The leaders remain secure.

Powers and Abilities:

Andrei Orlov is a potent magician and a magical polymath, having learned approximately half a dozen schools of magic, most involved in some manner with dark magic and including a degree of skill in technomancy, which he uses to create his magical terrorist devices. He also invented a style of magic called 'Practical Magic' which is essentially using magic with a minimum degree of ostentatiousness and what he disparagingly calls 'props' which are essentially physical foci. A Practical Mage, he says, does not advertise or display his status as a mage - in fact, he goes out of his way to hide it.

His Shadow Conclave, despite its name, is not some crazed doomsday cult worshipping a dark god, but a terrorist network divided into cells, most of them headed by his lieutenants. They use their magic, along with modern technology and modern terrorist/guerrilla techniques, to exact chaos and devastation. Some conservative magical enforcement groups are at their wit's end dealing with the Shadow Conclave, because, essentially, they don't play according to type. They expect dark warlocks to be flashy and ostentatious, disdainful of technology, disorganised. When their enemies don't meet these expectations, they're virtually helpless because they have precisely zero experience in rooting out terrorist cells, and are thus forced to turn to forces more used to dealing with these situations.

There are vague rumours that the Shadow Conclave has access to magical bioweapons and is planning to gain nuclear capability, but these are unsubstantiated and not taken that seriously by intelligence agencies.

Appearance and Personality

The photos of Andrei Orlov from his period in the Winter Corps do not match up with his video appearances. Some believe this is due to him having some degree of shapechanging ability, others that he has access to hair dye and cosmetic surgery, yet others that he is long dead and has been replaced with another leader. From what is known from his videos, he appears to expouse an Anarcho-Nihilist, pseudo-Nietzchean philosophy. His actual personality remains relatively unknown.

Relationships

Andrei Orlov has sernt invitations to join the Shadow Conclave to other dark wizards, such as Ludwig Schrodinger, but most have rejected them. This is mostly unknown. He also seems to hate Russia and the Winter Corps, judging by recent Shadow Conclave attacks.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

All I get about the characterization is that this Orlov guy likes explosions and exploding people.

Idea of terrorists using magic is sound, but there needs to be more to him than "in 20XX he killed a hundred people" and "in 19XX he killed a thousand more".

The fact that he has killed thousands means that a lot of serious factions are going to be after his head.

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:All I get about the characterization is that this Orlov guy likes explosions and exploding people.

Idea of terrorists using magic is sound, but there needs to be more to him than "in 20XX he killed a hundred people" and "in 19XX he killed a thousand more".

The fact that he has killed thousands means that a lot of serious factions are going to be after his head.
I was trying to make him more mysterious, like real-life terrorists often are. I must have screwed up in the execution however. Also, you got it the wrong way round. It's mostly (dark) magicians using terrorism.

As for your latter comment, I'm planning to have a major arc focussed around the hunt for this guy, with lots of explosions and akshun (sorta like a Tom Clancy novel with magic and metahumans).
He does survive however.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

speaker-to-trolls

On Orlov: First, isn't that the name of the dressing-gowned meerkat from the car insurance adverts?

Second, so what does he actually want? Terrorists usually have some political goal which they wish to accomplish through their terrorism. Like Shroom said, the idea of magical terrorists as opposed to ostentatious dark warlocks is fair enough but terrorism is a tool by which to achieve political ends, which this guy doesn't seem to have. What does 'anarcho-nihilist' mean? Is that an elaborate way of saying 'likes to blow shit up,'?

On My Guy: Thanks for the input, guys. I like Vic's idea of him turning from being a full daylight superhero who acts with the support of the government to someone who works more in the shadows, and for money, but still wants to keep fighting and keep the peace. From tht he could either turn into an amoral Comedian or a diamond in the rough type, though being the latter might be tricky if I still have him working for Knight or the EVIL corporation. On the other hand, though, EVIL is relative, and he could almost certainly find people who are at least overtly worse than him or the people he works for.

EDIT: And on a bit of Kamin's guy:
His Shadow Conclave, despite its name, is not some crazed doomsday cult worshipping a dark god, but a terrorist network divided into cells, most of them headed by his lieutenants. They use their magic, along with modern technology and modern terrorist/guerrilla techniques, to exact chaos and devastation. Some conservative magical enforcement groups are at their wit's end dealing with the Shadow Conclave, because, essentially, they don't play according to type. They expect dark warlocks to be flashy and ostentatious, disdainful of technology, disorganised. When their enemies don't meet these expectations, they're virtually helpless because they have precisely zero experience in rooting out terrorist cells, and are thus forced to turn to forces more used to dealing with these situations.
This brings up an interesting question because I think that the magical enforcement agencies of the world will have had more experience than this suggests. First of all there would be the Cold War shenanigans with Western Wizardry poised against Soviet Socialist Sorcery (as is clearly shown in my fanfic lol) and second is that I at least imagine Gargoyle having people going into Africa for various black ops against Crimson and Deimos and other people they don't like. Now neither of these are all that similar to modern terrorism, but I think this is an interesting thing to think about: Just what kind of things do the wizards do these days and what are they and aren't they geared to fight?

Also I realise I may have shot Gargoyle in the foot in this regard by saying that they couldn't even track down Artos the Omen while he was setting up and gathering support, and he was, after all, an ostentatious and disorganised Dark Warlock (well actually he was pretty organised, his cult was quite well structured). I can only say in their deffence that A) Artos had outside help and B) He used to be a gargoyle and as fucked as his mind was he still remembered how they worked and thus how to avoid them.