Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

High tech intrigue and Cold War
Siege
Site Admin

Re: Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

Post by Siege »

Booted Vulture wrote:And CSW is normally such a bastion of unridiculousness.
Your point is well taken, sir :D. But generally speaking I at least try to instill these concepts with a modicum of sense, and I just can't seem to find a good reason for the existence of huge catamaran carriers with enough room for a squadron of C-5 Galaxies. Still, I think it's pretty neat, and there used to be this gigantic floating base the USA built off Hawaii in the first inception of CSW...
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

So that's what it is. I was wondering if it was that or just a floating airfield. Now depending on the scale could you also have lesser ships docking with the underside of it?
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe some kind of ridiculous giant semi-mobile oil rig-like airfield in the middle of the ocean?

Maybe you can use those Continental-class carriers Stas designed for SDNW2. :D

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Malchus
Location: In a chibi-land, eating the brains of H. P. Wuvcwaft.

Post by Malchus »

Well, if you want something less ridiculous, how about a Russian catamaran aircraft carrier?

If you want something extremely ridiculous... :P

I admire the man, he has a high tolerance for insanity (and inanity - which he generously contributed!). ~Shroom, on my wierdness tolerance.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

That second one is like a Culture GSV in like boat form.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

That Russian thing strikes me as a terrible idea. Let's have no way to move from one side of the hull to the other except through these tiny walkways that won't accomodate an aircraft, instead of just building two carriers for the same money! What a great idea!

Anyway, speaking of mobile airfields, here's a ludicrous Chinese render of a similar concept:

Let's build a giant floating harbor that'll make the perfect target for American AshMs!

But wait, the USMC gets in on the action as well, with their Afloat Forward Staging Base! Admittedly this concept is a bit more sane, it looks like a large container ship that acts like a huge helo platform for troops to depart from. Of all the things I've seen so far, this is probably most likely to make it into the 'verse. Pity the picture is so fuck-ugly...

"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

While I'm not sure the design as is could reasonably used, the concept doesn't seem impossible to include. I mean, you could conceivable imagine situations where a seriously heavy duty mobile airfield could come in handy. Park one off the coast of Africa or something and you could run heavy duty, serious cargo ops all over the continent.

OR, maybe, you could do a thread which is all about scrapped ideas from the darkest depths of the DoD! All those crazy ideas that people thought were good, even went places, before someone wised up and said 'hold on guys this is dumb'. For all we know there is a half completed papier mache aircraft carrier floating aroudn the great lakes.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Ford Prefect wrote:OR, maybe, you could do a thread which is all about scrapped ideas from the darkest depths of the DoD!
That is a really good idea. Although sometimes it seems the DoD of CSW doesn't scrap that many ideas to begin with ;).

Anyway... Evolved 21st century Soviet assault rotocopter designs ahoy?

(Both images grabbed from the excellent conceptships blog/site.)

Off naked Chatham show,
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

I love that second one,: like a really sleek Hind.
FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

WANT:

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

THE GREATEST NAVY IN THE WORLD

Siege; plot idea. This happens. All the forces in the world rush to capture the ship and its nukes as quickly as possible

THE SKYE SUB CRISIS
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Heh, I think HMS Perilous going rogue is enough bad press for CSW's RN. A sub running aground would hardly register on the problem scale of this universe :).

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe at the epic conclusion of the HMS Perilous storyline, there is an epic gunfight inside the submarine and instead of the ruined sub sinking or blowing up, it ends up running aground in some shallow strait and the MI6 hushes it up with a cover story to the public saying that the sub just ran aground on a routine patrol (rather than "one of our subs mutineered to a terrorist organization, and was stopped only by a huge on-board gunfight that ran the rogue ship aground right near British territory). Kind of like a reverse of The World is Not Enough. :)

Of course that might not work since the sub did end up getting buried in a sub pen or something, and that terrorist-enabler lady ended up stealing a nuke from it...

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Nekomata

Post by Nekomata »

After all this time I have to say I still love this universe.
"What's the differance between a light tank and a kinetic strike?"
"Whether or not the parachute deploys..." - Common joke of the Matan orbital assault forces.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

:3

^_____________________________^

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thanks Shep!

MOOSE

PARACONE

For the United States Aerospace Forces! If it weren't for goddamn MCNAMARA!

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Das Unsichtbare Visier was an East German TV-movie series that's essentially James Bond for Ossies. It was produced by East German state television in cooperation with the Ministerium für Staatssicherheit (yes, the Stasi helped make a TV series), and it involves this German guy who, for reasons of idealism, defected to the Soviets during WW2 and in the aftermath of the war hunts the ODESSA Nazi remnant and other bad guys. On my last trip I scored a second-hand vinyl record with the series' soundtrack, and it is awesome.

I really need to find a way to work this in somehow.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Tee hee, look at what I found (or more accurately, rediscovered):

Off naked Chatham show,
Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Siege wrote:Tee hee, look at what I found (or more accurately, rediscovered):
Is that...a moonbase?
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

With a space going SR Blackbird...

Somewhat, more low key but I'd always imagined that CSW FBI had ended up adopting the 10mm Auto rather than nerfing in to the .40 S&W
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

It's been a while since I did my iterate binge research on guns for STB, Magister, so would the 10mm auto be tied to a certain model of firearm over whatever the Bureau uses today? I can write the gun into STB.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

According to a quick Google. Real World FBI are issued the Glock 22 and can buy and use a compact Glock 27 instead.

If they wanted to use 10mm Auto. They'd be using the Glock 20 and Glock 29 instead.

Also did you just call me Magister? :cry:
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

aaaaaaaughh

But would a difference in Glock models actually matter?
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Czernobog wrote:Is that...a moonbase?
Technically in this 'verse it would be XK-MASADA.
Booted Vulture wrote:With a space going SR Blackbird...
Well, not exactly space going. More like has its engines modified for use in a very thin alien atmosphere.
Somewhat, more low key but I'd always imagined that CSW FBI had ended up adopting the 10mm Auto rather than nerfing in to the .40 S&W
I'm not adverse to this, and y'all know I'm a sucker for minutiae, but honestly the standard gun caliber carried by feds isn't very high on my list of priorities :).

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

I think such a lack of priorities speaks for itself :ugeek:

Then again that CSW plot I came up with has the main character often identify who's trying to kill him this time by what calibre bullets are whizzing past his head...