Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

High tech intrigue and Cold War
Siege
Site Admin

Re: Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

Post by Siege »

"Our efforts to arm the Afghan resistance went well at first. When they rolled their armor down to Kabul back in '01 the reds hadn't met any opposition worth the name, and ever since they consistently wiped the floor with anybody that tried to do anything about it. The deal we offered was very straightforward: we gave them the Dragons and Stingers they needed to blow up Soviet tanks and helicopter gunships, and they paid Special Activities Division with enough heroin to fund our operations through half of Asia. Everybody was happy with that arrangement. Well, everybody except the Soviets. When his boys started coming home in body bags it didn't take Sechalin long to notice. Within weeks we saw field lasers deployed at the head of their armored columns. The Sangvins didn't make their tanks unassailable, but it sure as hell made it a lot harder for us to reliably kill them. And if you got too close, well, I saw mujahid who had their eyeballs burned out of their skulls by those damn things. Let me tell you, that's enough to take the fight out of even hardened fanatics."
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

"Le Feuvre? I don't know. And you know that's not something I say lightly, Emily. I don't know what he wanted. I don't know if he's still alive. I don't know if he was a bad guy. Do you think that an admission of defeat? It isn't. Examine your assumptions. If it's really Le Feuvre you are chasing then you should know this man knows how to put ideas in your head better than anyone I have ever known.

We thought him dead on at least three separate occasions. Now you're thinking - surely the third time we no longer fell for it? But there were cruise missile impact-cams, satellite footage, reliable agents who swore blind they got him... Pictures of his corpse, even. And yet he'd be there the next time, smiling like it was all just a particularly good trick.

No, he's quite human. Some of his erstwhile compatriots also had a habit of coming back from the dead, but we never caught Le Feuvre with that sort of technology. I think - I don't know, but I think he'd think it beneath him. He's all sleight of hand, an old-fashioned illusionist. It would be cheating.

We thought he was a financier back when he was with WRAITH. Then there was the Exchange, we figured him for an infobroker then, someone who sold bad things bad people. He had something to do with that mess in America because Baylor tried to retire him a few times shortly after, without much success, obviously. I liked Baylor, once upon a time, but he always had far too heavy a hand. Either way, by the time f-division realized Le Feuvre was behind Exchange East he owned half the corporations in South East Asia and we couldn't touch him.

He helped us out after Korovin became an issue. The Americans will tell you he did that because he was afraid of her, but I don't think so. I think he did it for no other reason than that he could. He likes games, Emily, and this is a game to him. And if he's reaching out to you he thinks you're another player.

So I think congratulations are in order, daughter. You've made it to the big time. I hope you remember everything I taught you."

"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

"It was actually the Americans who came up with the idea, believe it or not. Their navy had been the red-headed stepchild of the defense budget since Westmoreland but President Hunter had a thing for the 'fleeties', so in the mid-eighties the Pentagon got a bunch of boffins from Norfolk to draw up all kinds of crazy plans for them. One of the more demented out-there ideas was for this attack boat that came with everything and the kitchen sink. Hydrofoils, missiles, supercavitating propulsion, a bunch of marines, you name it.

In case of war a mob of these things would launch from an LPD way off-shore to have a go at big Soviet nuclear sub pens, the ones buried under seaside mountains that you'd otherwise need a big mushroom cloud to take care of. I suppose the marines would swashbuckle their way up to the pen doors, plant a satchel nuke and get out before the fat lady sang. From what I gathered Hunter liked that idea because, believe it or not, he appreciated the green movement and he had a bee up his bonnet about the ecological effects of nuclear warfare. He certainly pushed for smaller precision warheads. And, at a guess, he liked his marines properly piratical too.

It was during one of the big UNO worldwide anti-nuclear conferences in the late eighties, START or SALT I think, that Zhadanova herself took Hunter apart. They were surprisingly close for world leaders on opposite sides of the dime. Anyway, they had a little face-to-face and she told him the KGB knew of his little boats and laid out, no doubt in that charmingly direct style of hers, just how utterly daft he was for thinking that this plan of his had even a snowball's chance in hell of working. The Joint Chiefs must've been trying to tell him the same thing for a while because the project was cancelled a few weeks after.

That left a bunch of boffins from Norfolk out of a job, and with an advanced but now purposeless prototype on their hands. When I heard of this I couldn't help but take an interest in their plight, so I informed our Prime Minister at the time of their unfortunate circumstance. Fortuitously Mrs. Drake-Carringdon's family had a proud naval heritage to uphold; she rivalled Mr. Hunter in her enthusiasm for all things that float with guns on them. It was little surprise then that she was equally concerned about the boffins' quandary and all too willing to take their hard work off their hands for a few measly million Pounds Sterling.

Although of course, we would have to make a few modifications to the design."

- From
Rum, Sodomy and Nuclear Missiles: The Royal Navy Ascendant in the Late-20th Century, by Lord Anselm Anstruther.

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I just realized something. If the Sino-Soviet Split was resolved and the USSR and the PRC are on friendly terms, what about the tensions between China and Vietnam? They did wage a war after the good guys won the Vietnam War.

Then again with pro-west India, China might not want to antagonize too many neighbors, and might want Vietnam's aid in countering SEATO! CSW SEATO might be serious business!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Nobody won the Vietnam War as I recall, it was a fairly peaceful decolonization in CSW. So Vietnam is probably doing quite well, and most likely quite friendly with the West, who can use a strong regional partner to counterbalance China. I figure the region around the South China Sea is a hotbed of conspiracy and contraband though, with Philippino smugglers in Indonesian ekranoplans smuggling artificial plutonium from Taiwan to WRAITH agents in Cambodia, all the while being pursued by agents from Chinese state security, British mobsters out of Hong Kong and Japanese self-defence force warships.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

"Europeans and their drones. They do like 'em. Not the thinking kind though, not like the Soviets. No, EuroCorps likes its machines just clever enough to put a smart missile up some poor African nitwit's arse, but not canny enough to decide that maybe their shadowbrokers are acting on faulty intel. Damn near caused the Third World War in '19 when for a hot minute they were hell-bent on sending Warszawski to Davy Jones' locker. Forced SICKLE to intervene and avert a thermonuclear showdown over Mogadishu, they did. Still though, I have this nagging feeling Star Chamber were looking exactly to force the Soviets to reveal they had that capability to break into their microwave nets..."

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Ever considered repurposing old Advanced Tactical Fighter concepts? They're nifty. This article on the Japanese next-gen fighter has cool comments referencing and linking to 1970s-era pre-F-22 superfighter concepts.

http://aviationweek.com/defense/japan-p ... xt-fighter

The comments section has gems such as:

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Yeah I do have those pictures, haven't found a use/place for them yet though.

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

God bless War is Boring.

HOT BEAGLE

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

... I think I'm going to want to know the context behind that. Y'know, so I can steal it :D.

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Siege wrote:... I think I'm going to want to know the context behind that. Y'know, so I can steal it :D.
It's an actual photo from the ongoing Syrian civil war. I was a bit hesitant to repost it for that reason, but CSW's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. :P
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Huh. So... This guy might essentially just be the Syrian version of Hani Salaam?

"Watch and learn, my dear. Watch and learn."

Off naked Chatham show,
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

I wonder, do the Russians in CSW have anything like autonomous miniature robo-tanks that tag along with infantry as a weapons platform? The Russians seem to be experimenting with it now.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-ar ... cebook.com

Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
-Joseph Campbell
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

They well might. It's an interesting idea, maybe they have inherent kind of dog-level intelligences and troopers grow fond of them for being brave little loyal toasters. And then every once in a while SICKLE goes "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" through a satellite uplink and the shit hits the fan, or something.

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It could be like modern experimental quadruped things the US and other gov'ts and groups are experimenting with in the hopes of providing assistance to soldiers.

Perhaps the WEU and/or Sooth Effricken versions of these would actually be made out of synthetic biology.

Also, maybe this isn't in keeping with the MIG FIREBIRD superfighters with SICKLE interfaces, but perhaps the other factions with less hardcore AIs - or even WEU and/or Sooth Effricken synthetic biology/genetically modified/wetware-powered platforms - could utilize this:

Imagine the Starling: Peak Fighter, the Swarm, and the Future of Air Combat
Software is eating the war, and it’s coming for airpower. In the future, air dominance will be determined not by large, non-expendable fifth-generation platforms, but by nimble drone swarms. The only way to stay ahead of the curve and ensure American air dominance is to begin designing the sixth-generation “fighter” as a rapidly reprogrammable adaptive aerial network. Because the next critical performance envelope isn’t hardware — it’s software.
With the proliferation of additive (3D) manufacturing and commercially available drones, it is likely that air-to-air engagement will shift from human-scale to digital. Smaller platforms. Smaller payloads. With printable, payload-carrying drones and cheap processing power, how far away are we from a few thousand quadcopters and a cheap machine learning algorithm deploying them as aerial three-dimensional pickets — or some similar heretofore unimagined asymmetric hack? Once that happens, we will need countermeasures, and will suddenly find ourselves entering a swarm-on-swarm scenario with aerial force that was designed for just the opposite type of combat.

What might swarm-on-swarm air combat look like? To tackle one possible answer, consider the starling.

Go to YouTube and search for the word “starling” and you’ll see that swarm engagements won’t look anything like human-driven air combat.

Swarm air combat at scale (say, a 1,000-on-1,000 engagement) may mean that in a single second, a single small air combat vehicle might considered to be “engaged” with 10–20 enemy drones as it banks through a cloud of hostile platforms, firing when the Venn diagram of “firing solutions” and “current scheme of maneuver” overlap by the microsecond.

The only way to prepare for this future is to design platforms that are open and reprogrammable on the fly. Why reprogrammable? Because swarm software will need to evolve in real time to adapt to the enemy swarm. Just like today’s hardware, drone swarm software will have a performance envelope just as likely to determine victory as the actual physical parameters of the platform.
It might be using smaller intelligences, instead of "hard AI" super-smart-SICKLEs, these smaller intelligences could be programmed for more... "aggregate" and "adaptive" approaches... so while individually they may not be super-intelligent Jamie Foxx-murdering stealth UCAVs, as a group... purely reacting to particular scenarios when directed to engage this or that threat (offensively or defensively), they might end up being really scary. Heck, these might not even have to be actual UCAVs, they could be insane pure-KE missile swarms... or something that blurs the line between small UCAVs and missiles. Insane networked BRIGHT-SWARMs on the other end of the border, opposite the SICKLE-guided laser grids. :o

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Perhaps ConEurope distilled a flock-intelligence out of alien signals received from OUTER SPACE. Semi-bright swarm behavior organically arises from drones fitted with the necessary bio-silicate chips.

To ensure compliance these broods are remote controlled by a European t-cog from the ground; another indication of the steady proliferation of mature 3rd generation European paratechnology and the steady progress of SHADOW KEY's chimerical objectives.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

"We knew Sechalin had secrets squirreled away. We knew some of them were big secrets. But on occasion, he still managed to surprise us."

Off naked Chatham show,
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

-

Coming NEVER
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

"Nutcracker" because of the sound the pilot's spine makes when it inevitably crashes!

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Me: I think the real life forming axis of Putinism and other weird ass ideologically opposite but friendly due to strongmanism is the real life NEUROM. It's the opposite of CSW its sneaky Russian intel units coopting American ULTRAMILITANTS

Vic: It's the ultramilitant maniac vs the female technocrat too

Me: KIRALOVA

Vic: Who is COMRADE HAMMER

Me:hmmmm....
HMMMMMM
Anthony Weiner
the hammer is his penis

Vic: COMRADE WEINER

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Found here. A-12 Avenger

Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

So fancy! (So cancelled :cry: )

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

"The Moray we first caught a glimpse of in '29. Yes, well rear of the First Crisis. This was after all that ghastly business with Razaq and Adumbra. After the datavores, after Last Vegas, and the worst of the Slow Cold. It was... not a simple time, but a languid time, certainly. Port reports once more came to the Admiralty on dodgy landlines, from dodgier characters. Global coverage was a thing of the past.

But this was unmistakably a pre-Crash ship, no doubt about it, and if it had precedently been sailing about the seven seas I'm confident we'd have known of it. Which meant someone had dug it up, possibly from one of Korovin's old yards, hidden and lost in the cracks of the world. The Admiralty therefore as you might imagine was quite eager for a word with the ship's operator - but considering the state of the world it was not a top priority until a year later, when our man in Zanzibar snapped the first picture of its mystery captain.

There she was. The daughter of our very own Black Prince, years after having quite vanished, in the company of certain characters that all the King's men would dearly like some answers from. The Comte, we would soon find out, had taught young lady Ridley some of his best tricks."

Off naked Chatham show,