Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

High tech intrigue and Cold War
Booted Vulture

Re: Random Ideas (Input Requested!)

Post by Booted Vulture »

Does CSW have anything like this

A hypersonic luxury jumbo jet liner. Powered by six atomic engines.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Would you believe me if I said I had this image:

sitting in a CSW image folder on my desktop waiting for a description?
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Yes. Because the Fireflash is awesome?

Though now I'm thinking a CSW Mars mission might come to a sticky end.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I wonder if the even footing between superpowers means conflicts are more likely to occur in the world of CSW. The rough technological parity between the great powers might lead a tinpot ruler with a cache of current tech to believe he can beat his neighbor in a quick war -- and that he has a decent chance of bloodying the nose of anyone inclined to intervene.

(In retrospect Last Stand of Phoenix Squadron illustrates this sentiment well.)

It could lead dictators everywhere to believe that conquest is actually an option: if they appear menacing enough to make the great powers hesitate, and military operations are concluded within that window of hesitation, they might just be able to pull it off!
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Especially if they're already busy else where. Like a robot trampling moscow or some terrorists attempting to assassinate the president or say.. the Olympics are on.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Toyota Wars. But with phased plasma cannons on Frod Gran Chorizos instead.

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

:) Developed under the benevolent guidance of Vice President Curtis LeMay... And immediately cancelled by his Democratic successor as "the most extravagant squandery of taxpayer money to ever disgrace God's own Pentagon"!

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Megafortress!

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I wonder... Would it not be interesting if erstwhile British PM Adelaide Drake-Carringdon and the world's most infamous weapons dealer, Mary-Louise Drake, were related? Let's say that ML hails from a branch of the family that fell on hard times after their possessions in Africa were nationalized by some post-colonial regime; dad started the trafficking guns to warlords 'cause he needed money to keep up appearances/his lavish lifestyle. At some point he got whacked and at age 16 or thereabouts Mary-Louise took over the business, acting from behind proxies pretending to be her father for the first few years, and finally dropping the act shortly after becoming the most succesful arms dealer the planet had ever seen.

Critically embarassed by one of its most celebrated politicians being related to someone pretty high up on Interpol's Most Wanted list, the government of the United Kingdom might be compelled to cover up some of Drake's worst excesses. And can you imagine family Christmas at the ancestral pile? Talk about awkward...

Off naked Chatham show,
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

:mrgreen:

I like that. Dirty laundry and all that.

Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Wait do those rotors overlap? That's some very clever engineering and an absurdly complex point of failure for the craft.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Booted Vulture wrote:Wait do those rotors overlap? That's some very clever engineering and an absurdly complex point of failure for the craft.
No more than WWII-era interrupter gear (which you know, lets machine gun bullets pass safely through a rotating propeller with WWII technology), I'd expect.
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

technically that's WWI gear but that's alot simpler. It's just a matter of stopping the gun from firing when you don't want it to. And the gun is perpendicular to the rotors. Inter-meshing rotor blades, at that weird angle as well looks like it could go seriously wrong if the motors de sync even a little.

I mean if your wwi interrupter gear fails. You lose your propeller.. well at least you've still got wing to glide from. Those rotors foul up and good bye lift hello fiery plummeting death.

Seriously why would do that when you could just mount them a little further apart?
Ford Prefect

Post by Ford Prefect »

FEEL THESE GUNS ARCHWIND THESE ARE THE GUNS OF THE FLESHY MESSIAH THE TOOLS OF CREATION AND DESTRUCTION THAT WILL ENACT THE LAW OF MAN ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I was wondering if it would be cool for ol' Bedlam Farley, notorious Confederate bushwhacker and ancestor of General Chaos Farley, to have at some point during the Civil War stolen an unfeasibly large amount of bullion. Maybe during the final stages of the war the Confederate leadership tried to evacuate to Cuba or Haiti and instead of saving them Farley made off with their ironclad full of gold?

I'd love to establish Farley backstabbery as a family tradition dating back hundreds of years...

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Chronic Backstabbing order is hereditary?

I dunno, seems a little too cute to me.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Well, it wouldn't be genetic, more like... A recurring phenomenon in he family history.

And it'd be a nice plot hook for Chaos' son/daughter (Jinx & Medley Farley? Maybe he had twin girls :-) ) to go hunting for the mystical family fortune on Cuba. And be hounded at every turn by commie agents, rival treasure hunters and dad's shady 'friends'. A journey of self-discovery where they learn bits and pieces of the family history and why nobody seems to believe they'll keep their word... With speedboat chases and gunfights on the rooftops of Havana.

Extra points if they have no idea at the start of dad's sordid reputation. And if they're there in the first place 'cause dad arranged a 'holiday' to get them out of the firing line whilst he dealt with the fallout of the Secret War.

I'm starting to like this now...

Off naked Chatham show,
Mobius 1
Global Mod

Post by Mobius 1 »

I was actually thinking about CSW: THE NEXT GENERATION, the other day, and was toying with the idea of the three introduced younger characters - John Baylor's daughter, Bateau's younger sister, and Lennox's son all teaming up and doing a soldier of fortune fight for those who can't routine in the post STB-word. Having them face off against the Trouble Sisters would just be hilarious icing on the cake.

By the late 2020's, Ridley would be getting on in his years, right? Baylor would be in his late 40s (I have his year of birth pinned as 1982), and Farley would be a pretty old patriarch if he even is still around.
SHADOW TEMPEST BLACK || STB2: MIDNIGHT PARADOX
The day our skys fe||, the heavens split to create new skies.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

Ridley was born in '68 so by 2030 he'd be 62. He was promoted head of MI-6 in 2021, which I figure he'd still be running at least until he's 65, I don't see a guy like him retiring much earlier. And when he does it's probably a lordship and a manor in Wales, or something.

I think it'd be fun to cast Jinx and Medley (I really like those names) as mostly decent folk, but because of their name everybody believes they're with the villains.

Off naked Chatham show,
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I wonder if...

For a few years in the direct aftermath of the Civil War, the USSR re-instituted the Commissariat. It would take the shape of a handful of absolutely trusted loyalist officers drawn from the armed forces, the secret services and the ministry of the interior. These commissars would answer to a special council composed of the Premier and envoys of the Council of Ministers, the Red Room, the Political Consultative Committee of the Warsaw Pact and other major league organization in the USSR, and they would have carte blanche to pursue and persecute traitors within the ranks of the Soviet Union. They would have the power to convict on suspicion and take justice into their own hands, they could assume command of KGB detachments and army troops in pursuit of their duty, they could submit to a trial secret evidence that the accused would be unable to defend against, as well as evidence gathered through means that would in any other situation be considered inadmissible (let's say they drop a tree of nanoelectrodes down an ultramilitant's brain and just brute-force puppetize them)...

I figure you see where I'm going with this: all that nasty Patriot Act stuff that a civil society is way better off without, turned up to eleven. These Commissars would be Kiralova's Witch-hunters, a latter-day Inquisition created solely for the purpose of rooting out all of Sechalin's supporters, a "holy shit is that really necessary" type of deal that would engage in all manner of pretty abhorrent stuff to guarantee the security of the Union. All that fancy tech the Soviet Union is bestowed with, used for purposes that would evoke shades of the horribleness that could come of it. The organization would operate on a five-year plan, that is to say its blanket powers of prosecution end after five years so as to ensure that its reign of terror would be relatively limited... And perhaps, after five years, there'd be a major political struggle about whether the existence of the Commissariat should be prolonged by another five years or not.

Off naked Chatham show,
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

That's actually a really cool idea. And make the russians more grey again. I dunno a lot of CSW, to me makes the russians seem awesome cool people. We don't see their dark side as much as that of the eastern powers. perhaps in the name of subvert the classic cold war achetypes.