[General]The Return of CHARACTER CONCEPTS

Moderators: Shroom Man 777, Ford Prefect

Peregrin

Re: [General]The Return of CHARACTER CONCEPTS

Post by Peregrin »

A (post-)Soviet superhero whose superpower is propaganda? That's... actually pretty interesting as a concept, and at least a novel way to make a Soviet superhero. Could even use the character to comment on the appeal of totalitarian ideology.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Not propaganda, but song. Imagine fighting him as he sings and turns people against you, and you have to beat them back, and it's all like a musical. Like this episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold! :twisted:

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Yeah, but it's still music as used for propagandistic purposes. It's the superhero as totalitarian propaganda maestro, and I find that underlying theme much more interesting than the novelty value of turning a superhero battle into a musical.

I'd also think that the Wayward Son should be his arch-enemy. It's not just that they're both music-based superheroes, but because one represents the music of modern-day America, the other that of the Soviet Union. It's the dude of polyvinyl chloride versus the disciple of gothic Communism.
"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Except that Wayward Son's musical talent allows him to go one-on-one with sentient humanoid suns (Phaeton) and survive, so Red Chord is out of his league. Chord won't be a major player, which explains why he's having musical gunbattles and firefights with the like of CapCap, Fidel Castro and Louise Exner.

His henchmen are Red Army Choir people! :mrgreen:

"Sometimes Shroomy I wonder if your imagination actually counts as some sort of war crime." - FROD
Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

That's pretty funny because I have thought about The Bermuda Triangle, a garage rock band mentioned in the original AAoI, being an experimental noise rock band fronted by Louise and Karl. :lol: With big enough amplifiers they should be able to rout the Red Chord in very little time.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Not if Red Chord comes flying in the Maxim Gorky and broadcasting and blaring propaganda music for all to see and hear. :twisted:

EDIT:

GODDAMN THIS EPISODE IS AWESOME!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I've chatted with PREGRIN about the composition of Louise Exner and Karl's geek squad - who "mostly attend HTX (a specialized type of high school we have in Denmark, that focuses on engineering/technology stuff) but there'd also be some biologists" - and I made the following suggestions:

Samira - Biology student, environmentalist hippie-girl, dark-skinned redhead, friendly, cheerful and outgoing, friend of small animals and plants and possibly bi-sexual. Works part time with Louise as a waitress at a small local diner. She gets very touchy-feely with Louise and both of them enjoy a lot of... extracurricular activities together. Is also a certified emergency rescuer and knows first-aid and stuff.

Nick - Aspiring inventor, together with his heterosexual life partner Anton create all sorts of contraptions that are mostly rather (very) unsafe for human use, often dabbling into the electrically unsafe realms of Tesla technology as well as Mythbusters-esque stuff. He might want to patent something and make a shitful of money and often shouts "We'll be rich!"...?

Anton - School laboratory, garage and backyard mad scientist most concerned with Tesla technology and other outrageous home-built things, a Nikola Tesla wannabe with even more outrageous ideas than his heterosexual life partner Nick. Perhaps he is less concerned with being "rich!" and more concerned with "science!"...?

Philip - Pasty, tall and skinny bookworm with rimmed glasses, spends almost all his time in the library reading obscure literature and other things in a bizzaro quest for (not-so) useless knowledge. Erudite and most sociable with Karl, who is one of the few who can communicate with him on the same wavelength. Think of a pair of PREGRINs, or a H.P. Lovecraft wannabe but not as insane as the old man. Often holds Karl's hand, or stays uncomfortably close to him.

Robert - High-tech computer nerd yet, ironically, the most socially and mentally well-adjusted of the Geek Squad's males. Cool and collected, level-headed and maybe even slightly pretentious (think Ford Prefect), Robert not only provides information and telecom-tech support but also focuses the likes of Nick and Anton to create useful inventions rather than dumb unsafe contraptions. Has a posh post-modern computer room and carries around fancy portable PCs when on the move. He is the voice of reason.

Katja and Kristina - One of them is a socially-aware left-leaning political activist, a bleeding heart liberal most concerned with the welfare of the poor people and societal justice and stuff like that - think Chloe from Smallville. The other one would be a sociable fashionista who is also an aspiring actress, fond of fancy clothes and maybe cosplaying too - think Monique from Kim Possible. I do not know which one is which, flip a coin.

EDIT:

Nick and Anton would've invented the Tesla-tonfas of Louise and Karl's taser gun. Under the auspices of Robert, the two of them could've also designed a disposable UAV through the use of a remote-control airplane and a disassembled cellphone, using the cell-cam as a sensor and the other electronics to make the UAV cellphone-controlled. :D

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The discussion on genre conventions, cliches, tropes and the originality and unoriginality of thereof has been split from this topic because, well, they weren't character concepts. :P

Continue.

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Since you guys like the concept: Here are the sapient guns. Comments, critique, massively needed re-writes?

edits: Holy Shit there is a lot of typos in this. I r lazy bad typa!

The Haunted Guns of Cedric West

West faced down his opponent in the dying light of the setting sun, the empty street taking on an orange tint as they rolled their shoulders and loosened the guns in their long sling holsters. West’s opponent was an Ex-Army man carrying a Remington shooting iron; it was simple weapon; plain and black. West’s guns, on the other hand were custom made; Brilliant silvered weapons with handles of old polished oak and delicate scroll work down the length of the barrel.

The Army man sneered.

“They’re nice guns; I’ll give you that, but the engraving gives you no real benefit whatsoever, unless you were planning to hock them off to tha pawnshop”

West’s draw was faster than a cobra’s strike. A bang echoed across the town. The Army man’s corpse hit the ground, minus an eye.

“They don’t do no harm neither,” grinned Cedric West.

History

Cedric West was a figure that could only belong in the mythic times of the old west. He was a scoundrel, a card shark and a man of ill repute that could only thrive in such lawless times; times when men were real men and went out and tamed to land and took what they wanted.

Cedric West was an angry man; angry at the world and everyone in it and in the end he lived a very short but eventful live. He ate well and drank in exceptional quantities. He loved many women whether they admitted they wanted it or not and he answered any slight real or imagined with the smoking barrels of his two pistols. And such pistols they were! These pistols were not a mere Colt Peacemaker or Remington revolver. They were totally custom made; items 1 and 2 in a limited run of 2 pistols by a blind gunsmith in a small township never thought to be significant before or since. In fact the vast part of Cedric’s worldly wealth was tied up his pistols.

These two pistols would eventually become much more important than Cedric, himself.

The history of Mr West is short but bloody, he moved around the frontier, drinking carousing and boasting; taking jobs where he could get them and gambling where he could not. He was usually rapidly moved on by the local Sheriffs and had to be pistol whipped into submission by them on numerous occasions. West himself is quoted have saying ‘If you can name a town, I’ve been smacked on the head on it.’ On other occasions, West had to flee off his own accord; the victim of his own success and coming on top of a lethal shooting match.

Among his other failings, West was completely racist, a common enough trait in those days, and he could not stand Native Americans and this was to be undoing.

There was an extraordinary loud bang and a short abbreviated shriek as the injun hag fell to the ground, her flesh smoking in the front and back of her chest. West Snarled and kicked her corpse.

“Fucking Injuns shouldn’t sneak up on a man like that” He chuckled under his breath. Only then did he realise he was still not alone. He looked around , in the middle distance there were many injun bastards, all armed to the teeth with spear and bow and axe.

West pulled both of his hand guns and rolled them around his trigger fingers in opposite directions. He smiled his yellow smile.

“Come on then boys!” He cried, voice full of bravado even to the end, “ain’t no injun gonna but me under!”

And in fact, Cedric West was correct in his last words. No Native American got to bury him. Instead he killed every fighting man of the Red Snakes tribe. In doing so he took no less than twenty two wounds from the Native’s weapons and yet still in a last act of defiance he managed to haul himself still alive to the nearest village and a doctor but not before infection had set in.

Cedric Jones died of his infected wounds after another two months of medical attention had sapped away all his funds. He was by the local pastor without ceremony or mourning the next day.

His guns however were not. In fact they never even made it with Cedric to the township where he died. They still laid where he dropped them; in the centre of a giant web of native corpses stretching across half the desert. And they had changed. For the spirit-souls of the native Americans had not passed on to their next life. Angry and discontent with their senseless and violent end, they stayed around hoping to gain the vengeance that Cedric had thwarted when they were still alive. To the end they stayed in this world and in that goal they were taken and binded to this world through a pair of pistols.

The guns were alive. And burned with half a hundred cries for vengeance.

Appearance
The guns are a pair of unique .36 caliber cap & ball black powder revolvers. They were six shooters and were silver finished with much intricate filigree patterns engraved upon the frame, barrel and revolving cylinder. The had handles of solid polished oak. Since their possession the only noticeable outward difference is in these oak handles which have transmute so the sides have engraved pictures of animal heads much like the spirits carvings of native American totem poles.

Powers And Abilities

Of the Haunted Guns of Cedric West only this can be said: You can not use them, they will use you.

Although Cedric West is long since dead, his guns still burn for vengeance, as they can not get it against him, they strike out at any evil doer that they can reach; claim vengeance for people that cannot get it for themselves. If anyone lays but a hand upon one of the guns; they will fall under its sway. To stronger men the guns may only whisper to him and play with his mind; making him thing that the gun’s goals and idea are in fact his own but weaker men the gun’s will simple evict their mind and sole from their body and crawl inside to use it for their own.

The guns are the spirit’s anchor to this world and such they protect it; Although they were created over a century ago; their silvered surfaces have not been tarnished away nor have the wooden butts become worn or scratched. They remain in exactly the same state as when first possessed and remain so; no matter how hot they are heat; or hard they are hit and are resilient towards all other possible maladies and misfortunes that could befall them. Additionally the spirits cannot be properly banished from this realm while the pistols remain extant. This creates a perpetual circle; The Guns cannot be destroyed until the spirits are banished and the spirits can’t be banished

Among their special properties is this: Although chambered for one of the most common calibres of the day .36 ball rounds; the pistols can be loaded and fire almost any firearm round produced from day; from .50 BMG on down. They can even fire with no rounds at all, strike with pure concussed spiritual energy. As ethereal weapons they have enhanced affects upon any supernatural creature they are fired against.

The pistols draw the energies need to animate themselves, protect the pistols and project their will from the Earth’s own mystical field, which twists ley lines around the objects as it draws energies to itself; the effect becomes more pronounced when more energy is needed such as when processing people or protect and repairing the pistols themselves.

Current Status

Unknown. The last know appearance of the Haunted Guns was in 1996 when Police Officer Harold Spencer came into possession of them; at the time Harold was on extended leave from the LAPD due to the death of his partner, who was killed by known drug dealers. During the two days in which Spencer had the guns; no fewer than 71 members of assort criminal organisations were found shot to death before Spencer himself was put down in an extended three way gun fight between LA SWAT Teams, criminal hitmen and himself.

It is not known where the guns currently are: they could be locked in a police evidence room, in a museum case, perhaps, or even in a pawn shop just waiting for for them to catch someone’s eye….
Last edited by Booted Vulture on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah Brother! It's been too long!
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Aw, no Lee Van Cleef? And the guns aren't villainous? Maybe they should be more indiscriminate in their vengeance-seeking? Well, nothing does say that the guns are particularly careful about collateral damage. How does it manage to fit .50 caliber machinegun rounds into the cylinder, though?

Neway, I like the details, and I like the novel concept really! Haunted pistols, fuck yeah! Also, the appearance just describes the gun! :D

Man, vengeful Indian spirits are the best thing ever.

And Cedric West was a total fucker, he totally got what he deserved, though deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Cat-like behavior!

Vagrant Orpheus

Post by Vagrant Orpheus »

I must admit, I too question how they fit rounds not designed for their cylinders. Overall they're pretty sweet though. I bet Khunbish would love to get a hold of them and bend them to his gunning skills.
Siege
Site Admin

Post by Siege »

I, on the other hand, like that the guns will take any round that's good for killin'!

I'm less enthusiastic about the guns' ability to fire some weird 'spirit energy' stuff though. I'd prefer if they required ammunition, any ammunition perhaps but still ammunition, to do their thing.
"Nick Fury. Old-school cold warrior. The original black ops hardcase. Long before I stepped off a C-130 at Da Nang, Fury and his team had set fire to half of Asia." - Frank Castle

For, now De Ruyter's topsails
Off naked Chatham show,
We dare not meet him with our fleet -
And this the Dutchmen know!
Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

Vagrant Orpheus wrote:I must admit, I too question how they fit rounds not designed for their cylinders.
My reasoning was thus: They are magically possessed hanguns. They get to do impossible things. And the whole use any round you like thing sounds pretty cool to me.

Siege wrote: I'm less enthusiastic about the guns' ability to fire some weird 'spirit energy' stuff though. I'd prefer if they required ammunition, any ammunition perhaps but still ammunition, to do their thing.
Yeah it is a bit dodgey, now that I come to think about it but that's why we have character concepts to iron out these things. For what it's worth I'd imagine the n bullets firing was very much a 'last resort' kind of thing taking up an enormous amount of the possessing spirit's energy for an effect that was maybe as good as a punch. After all if they could do that all the time and it was as effective as bullets the guns would never be loaded, right?
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe each of those 'spirit energy' rounds is actually using the soul of one of those dead Indians as a bullet? :twisted:

EDIT:

This was an idea I suggested for Vic, in that TOBIAS TOMBSTONE character.

Magister Militum

Post by Magister Militum »

I've recently stumbled upon a bit of a conundrum regarding the SDI's special operators. Now, I originally had the best of the best lumped together as Project Talon, but had the unit disbanded sometime after the Cold War. Years later, Goldstein would resurrect the outfit as Project Sentinel under Torres' command. However, after giving it some thought, I can't really think of a reason for why the unit should really be disbanded and then repackaged under a different name. Given that, is it best for me just to have Project Talon continue to exist without all this disbanding?
Democratic Socialist | Atheist | Transhumanist | Bright Green Environmentalist | Worldbuilder | IT Professional |

Germania your game is through, now you're gonna answer to... The Freestates! Fuck Yeah! Now lick my balls and suck on my cock! Freestates, Fuck Yeah! Coming in to save the motherfuckin' day! Rock and roll, fuck yeah! Television, fuck yeah! DVDs, fuck yeah! Militums, fuck yeah! - Shroomy
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The SDI went under a lot of funding-cutting and ideological review post-Reagan, particularly when Senators Blackwell and Lightning (the guy who would become current Comix POTUS) led the Truth and Reconciliation Commissions during the Bush Sr. and/or Clinton years. Turns out that the SDI might have been involved in a lot of unsavory things, such as the use of excessive violence during the Los Angeles Oil Field Fires that happened near the end of Von Reagan's term, amongst other things. The Baron-President left a very poisonous legacy after his term, because crypto-fascism, runaway military-industrial complex and Alzheimer's and senility do not mix all to well with each other.

Between this and the subsequent streamlining of the SDI and the sacking of rabid Reaganites and stuff, Project Talon might've also been disbanded if it itself got involved in a lot of unsavory things in the Cold War that the libruls, pussy democrats and pinko communists didn't have the stomach for real patriotism and true Spartafreedomericaniana. And MCNAMARA. :twisted:

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Origins

Alfred F. Jones was a decent man. He'd served in Vietnam, fought in the dark jungles of Indochina and survived. He had a family, two sons and a daughter. That was when they were targeted for death by the Crowtalon mob, for the fact that he was working with the police. They were killed, and Alfred saw a chance for revenge. The anger, the sheer hatred that washed through him, unlocked latent metatalents, giving low-level superdurability and superstrength.

Alfred brought a lot of guns and ammo. That night, as the leaders of a mafia syndicate left, he killed them all. That was not his last kill. He patrolled the nights of Crowtalon, killing gangsters and criminals wherever he saw them, blowing them away with his two customised Desert Eagles. It ended for a time when he was caught and imprisoned. When he escaped, that prison was a lot more empty.

Every night he came, every night more of society's scum were extinguished. Every night more criminals fell dead. People began to fear the Lawbringer as a symbol of the night, of terror and complete, utter fear. He was no longer a man. He was a symbol. A symbol made out of the tyranny of fear, but a symbol nonetheless.

And so it remains, to this day, that the Lawbringer is feared by Crowtalon's criminals, never knowing when he might come to strike, kill, and murder.

Appearance:

A man in his late 30s, with a leather longcoat, black hair, and wild-looking blue eyes. He is athletic and taller than average, with a continuous glare that seems to be judging you.

Powers and Abilities:

The Lawbringer has low-level superstrength and superdurability, but his true strength lies in his arsenal. Dozens of types of guns, including sniper rifles, bazookas, pistols, assault rifles and other weapons. He likes using them, and has two customed-made Desert Eagles enchanted to hurt metahumans and other such things, which are his main weapons. Under his leather coat is bullet-proof armour, to protect him against the mob's guns. He also has a seeming affinity for gunpowder and other explosives, and is not above using bombs when it comes to that. He has various safehouses run by people who sympathise with his one-man war on crime. He also has good tracking skills for his time in the military. His metatalents also seem to retard his ageing somewhat.

Also, he has a seeming preternatural ability to get out of prison, as seen in his 42 escapes from jail, using various means.

Personality

A deep, abiding hatred of criminals and crime in general. If you're caught committing a crime anywhere near him, you might as well be dead already, for he will stop at nothing to kill you. He does have a soft spot for cats, though.

Relations:

None really, as one doesn't usually cross his path and live, metahuman or no.
Last edited by Czernobog on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You have ruled this galaxy for ten thousand years.
You have little of account to show for your efforts.
Order. Unity. Obedience.
We taught the galaxy these things.

And we shall do so again.
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Too Punisher-lite, just another (slightly meta) guy with a gun going around killing people. Might need more... something, anything... to improve character.

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Too Punisher-lite, just another (slightly meta) guy with a gun going around killing people. Might need more... something, anything... to improve character.

What do you suggest?
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

No idea at the moment. Sleepy. Why was his family targeted by the mafia?

Czernobog

Post by Czernobog »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:No idea at the moment. Sleepy. Why was his family targeted by the mafia?
I don't know myself.
Order. Unity. Obedience.

Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Mind you, Crowtalon hasn't been that much of a crime-ridden hole since the Crowtalon Cleanup of the later seventies, spearheaded by Archwind.

Also, your guy has "a soft spot for ". Absolutely nothing, in other words? Hardcore.

Also, he's a Vietnam veteran in his late 30's?
"This explanation posits that external observation leads to the collapse of the quantum wave function. This is another expression of reactionary idealism, and it's indeed the most brazen expression."
-
REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 1 - Rey Quirino Versus the Dark Heart of the Philippines
"...a literary atrocity against the senses..." - Ford

REBUILD OF COMIX STAGE 2 - Advent Rey Returns: REVERGELTUNG
Coming NEVER
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Invictus wrote:Mind you, Crowtalon hasn't been that much of a crime-ridden hole since the Crowtalon Cleanup of the later seventies, spearheaded by Archwind.
We know shmucks like Toolverine hang around there, and Big Fatso has his paws in the area. While it might not be as bad as in the 70s, I don't think we've decided on the current state of Crowtalon aside from a bunch of crooks and a lot of backalley magic.
Also, your guy has "a soft spot for ". Absolutely nothing, in other words? Hardcore.
A soft spot for whores? Then he'll go on a roadtrip to LA to save the whores from that mysterious breast-bleeding murder machine, and engage in an epic duel of the fates against the GODDAMN CROW.
Also, he's a Vietnam veteran in his late 30's?
That's weird.
Kamin997 wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:No idea at the moment. Sleepy. Why was his family targeted by the mafia?
I don't know myself.
Er, yeah. It would be better for details to be worked out. In the Punisher's profile, his family was either collateral damage or they got iced because he was working for the cops (in the Thomas Jane movie).

Booted Vulture

Post by Booted Vulture »

That's the punisher.

EDit: man, I fail. I opened this thread back when there were no comments. Left it for several hours and commented without checking if someone had beat me to it. :oops:

EDit the second:
Vic wrote: Mind you, Crowtalon hasn't been that much of a crime-ridden hole since the Crowtalon Cleanup of the later seventies, spearheaded by Archwind.
It hasn't? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. *scribbles things out of the slinger story plan*
Shroom Man 777
Global Mod

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That doesn't mean it can't still have crime and shit. Just because it's not like the 70s doesn't mean it's totally squeaky clean like LA in Demolition Mang. Would Jurgen Baccara like to use his three seashells? :lol: